Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pdseely

pdseely

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A few days ago, we had a power surge that took out the PS, one of the HDs, and I guess, the MB. Repleced the MB, Processor, HD, and PS. There is power to the board. On startup, the post screen comes up, IDs the processor, counts the memopry, does the leyboard routine, then goes no further. Won't go to setup, or to bios flash routine. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When you say goto setup do you mean the OS setup if so I would try another cd rom, maybe the surge got that to.

i would also try different ram if you have some or see if memtest will run to test what ram you have but that won't work if the computer is not completeing post.

Rick

pdseely

pdseely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I say "post", I am talking about the very first non-video card screen. It detects the processor, memory, then stops. I have changed the memory, and reset the CMOS. It is not responsive to the keyboard at all. I see that it is trying to access the floppy, (I reversed the cable and the drive light shows activity. It never appears to attempt access to any of the other drives.

Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Any beeps codes from the motherboard?

pdseely

pdseely

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just the initial beep when the keyboard lights flash. Spoke with ASUS, they say it's a bad board. SO, I am going to return it to the vendor.

thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This topic is resolved and has been closed. Should the original poster need it reopened, please contact a staff member.