Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen Error Messages

• Please log in to reply

GIB

GIB

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hey.

I've got a problem here with my PC.

Last Monday, this Monday and today I got an error message, it was a blue screen and it said something along the lines of:

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL."

I don't have a clue what that is and I had to turn the PC of manually as it wouldn't let me get off of this screen.

It said below this:

"Technical Information: *** STOP 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xAAC7CCA9)

*** ATWPKT2.SYS - Address AAC7CCA9 base at AAC7A000, Batestamp 407420d1"

I don't know if that helps at all, but I wrote it down anyway.

There was some other stuff too, but that was just telling me that there was an error etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you use aol for your internet connection?

can you get into safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

GIB

GIB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

do you use aol for your internet connection?

can you get into safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

I'm sure if it will happen in safe mode, I thought it may just have been a one off but it's happened 3 times in over a week. It doesn't happen in a pattern so it's hard to predict when it'll happen. I do use AOL as my internet connection.

Also, I don't if this has anything to do with it but when I was trying to play some of my music in Windows Media Player it says I don't have enough memory to play it, and I had to shut a program first. The thing is though, I have over 26GB free, so it really doesn't make sense.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...the file referenced in that error is DIRECTLY linked to aol...the suggestion is to update your aol software from www.aol.com which SHOULD clear up that error..

could you get the EXACT wording of the error when you were playing music?

GIB

GIB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Sorry, it was only happening with one album which I just decided to delete, if you can't help because I can't get the exact wording, it's no problem. I'm sure it said something like "You're running low on memory, please close one or more programs and try again", but the thing is I only had AOL, MSN Messenger and Windows Media Player open...

As far as getting an update from AOL.com, where do you get the updates from on there? I also got a Windows XP automatic update this morning too, maybe that's what I needed as well?

nanaplough

nanaplough

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also receive this blue screen message off & on.
It recommends disabling BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing initially.
How is this done?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure on how to update your aol...i don't use the stuff so...not sure

if you can't get the exact error message that's fine...it's possible that there was something corrupt...since it was just the one album

not 100% sure on that one (at least not sure enough to get you exact steps)

GIB

GIB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I got the album back, it says ""Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and try again"

GIB

GIB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Also, while I'm here and it saves me starting a new thread, can someone shed some light on what 'softomate toolbar' is? It popped up on Ad-Aware and I got rid, but will it be gone for good?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you may want to start a thread in the malware forum for the softomate...just to make sure you're clean...

that may also be related to your "album" error