Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Connection suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply

fairct

fairct

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I have 3 laptops in my home that have been connected to my wireless network for quite some time. Just 2 nights ago all 3 were connecting fine. The next morning when I powered up all 3 laptops, one of them just couldn't connect to the wireless network.

I right clicked on the wireless network and did a Disable/Enable but that didn't work.

When I go to View Available Wireless Networks I get the message 'No wireless networks were found in range' yet it is obviously available for my other 2 laptops.

I have an encryption key on my wireless network and I re-added my network to this laptop, typing in the encryption key, but it still does not find the network.

I did an IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then /RENEW, which I've used in the past on other laptops, but that didn't work either. I haven't unplugged and reset the wireless router and cable modem yet because I'm afraid it might affect the other 2 laptops which I can't afford to lose.

This laptop is a sort of 'hand me down' so I'm not too sure how it's configured for wireless. Under the Wireless Network Connection Properties it says Connect Using 'Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series Wireless'. Troubleshooting on this reports that this device is functioning properly.

As a last resort I created an 'Ad-hoc' connection which I guess was tapping into one of my other laptops. When I did this and viewed the status of the wireless connection, it said 'Status: Connected' but 'Signal Strength - None'.

I haven't been able to Uninstall and Reinstall the device, as the Help suggested, since I can't get a connection to the internet and don't have the CD. I guess I could try and get a direct cable connection for this laptop but I've never tried that before since I went wireless.

That's about the extent of my knowledge unfortunately. I am stumped why, all of a sudden overnight, this laptop cannot see the wireless network. Unless perhaps the wireless card, if that is what that Dell device is, has just given up.

Sorry for the long post. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I have the same problem you have with the wireless network. It was working couple day ago. Now it's not working. A friend of mine tried to fix it, but nothing work still. :blink: I have to use the network cable for a while. :whistling:

Nevermind, It's now working.

Edited by HPDV8315LOVER, 10 August 2006 - 12:33 AM.

Solution_friend

Solution_friend

• Pip
  • 2 posts
its because of new windows updates crash with wireless connection.Take latest updates from Dell , its working fine, I have same issue with IBM machine and intel drivers and now its working fine.
hope it helps,
Thanks