Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont turn on anymore

• Please log in to reply

Littlekill

Littlekill

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Last night there was a big thunderstorm while i was using the computer, i could hear the thunder getting much louder so i decided to turn off the computer and monitor and unplug both as i have no surge protector.

This morning i wake up, plug both back in, monitor turns on fine but the computer doesnt seem to even try to turn on. The motherboard has a light on the bottom of it that lights up when plugged in, and it was lit after plugging it in, but for some reason the thing just doesnt wanna turn on. I've tried in about 3 different outlets, same deal. Anyone know any solutions at all to this?

edit: the motherboard i have also has two built in buttons on it especially for modders, it lets me reset and turn on the computer directly through the motherboard, i pressed both of those and nothing happened, now im really getting worried.

Edited by Littlekill, 09 August 2006 - 12:29 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well you probably got "hit". your could pull everything but the video, memory and cpu and see if it turns on. if you have a dial-up modem check that first as you may have been surged through that.... I have a dell here that was just killed in a storm... the modem was blown to bits and the rest of the computer isn't working either...

Littlekill

Littlekill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well as far as i can tell lightning only struck maybe a mile away at its most closest, i dont know if that could have anything to do with it. But i mean the computer was unplugged! I do not have a 56k modem, my computer has a wireless linksys thing that is usb and connects to the router which is in another room. But what im having a hard time getting through my head is... Why is the light on the motherboard coming on, and the computer isnt turning on? All i did was leave it unplugged for about 8 hours.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Just turning off a computer is not good enough to protect it. There is still power since most machine have a soft power switch and part of the motherboard is still powered.

A UPS is a good thing to protect the machine. You can also unplug the machine, including the phone line, if there is an electrical storm.

It may have harmed the power supply, or the rest of the system. The LED says that there is some power, but that does not mean it is completely working.

Littlekill

Littlekill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well the pc was unplugged the entire night, so im guessing the power supply may have just failed or something, this is really boggling my mind.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Do you have a phone line connected to the machine?

It does sound strange (I missed you said you unplugged the machine, opps). There is a power supply tester you can get, or try another power supply. A friend had a machine do a similar thing, but the power supply checked out ok, so he replaced the motherboard.

Littlekill

Littlekill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
the sound system that is connected to the computer also has to have its own outlet, that was left plugged in, im wondering if that was the killer. As it has a subwoofer. How much do those PSU testers usually cost?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Make sure the Processor fan is plug in all the way. I have that problem before when i was helping my brother upgrading his computer.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The power supply tester I got was $12.99 with a low shipping price of I think $2.95.

http://www.xoxide.co...ply-tester.html

A friend got one and recommended it.

Littlekill

Littlekill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I took the PSU down to the local computer shop, tested it and it came out fine, i took it back home, hooked it all back up, decided i should test to see if the computer works.. Plug it in, and it turns on, but for some reason, its much much quieter than before, really really quiet, ive never heard a computer be so quiet. So i check to see if all the fans are working correctly.. everything is working, i guess the first time i hooked it up i screwed up and it just now decided to tell me to fix it. Coincidence it told me right after the storm.