Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm trying to run a wireless router through a regluar router. But when i connect to the internet it says it cant connect to server but has accuired a address.

Is there a way for this to work?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why are we trying to run a wireless router through a wired one?

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
there both linskys router cept ones wireless (2nd one) i'm doing this because i want to use the old router and wirleless one in different rooms but only 1 modem,

the wireless router wont reach my room if its near the modem its to far away

Edited by Insane Guy X, 09 August 2006 - 01:04 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the ethernet connection between the two routers are you using a normal ethernet cable? i believe you need a crossover cable to connect from a router to a router

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hmm i think ur right thax

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It can be done and you may or may not need a crossover cable. It really depends on what you are using. It is a pain to try to get everything working too. I managed to do it with mine, but it would not work with the older version of the router. I ended up trying various combinations to get it connected. It turned out that using the wan port on the wireless router did not work and I had to use a regular port.

I have it setup this way because I have a dialup modem on the main router. I can't get DSL and I got sick of the lies by the cable company.