Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forum Creation

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have a basic website created using free web space provided by Verizon. I created it using their web tool so I was able to circumvent my lack of html et all skills. Now I'm in need of a forum. I'd just assume have it be a stand alone forum but if it is easier (and even possible) to "attach" it to my Verizon site that would be acceptable.

My site is located at www.pierredurand.com. I investigated Drupal but they told me their product probably would serve my needs. Please assume I know virtually nothing about web publishing and site creation (because I don't). Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Unless your site has PHP and a mySQL or PostgreSQL database you can forget about installing Drupal.

Also, 90% of forum software requires these two items or access to CGI.

There is that 10% out there, but they are pretty lame and being that they don't use a SQL database they occupy flat files and will eat up more space on your site than a database driven forum will.

If they provide PHP and mySQL I would recommend PunBB as it is SUPER easy to install and configure. It isn't as feature rich as vBulletin or Invision Power Board but for free it is a great package.

For CGI you might check into YaBB, Ikonboard or X-Forum

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
A friend completely learned in such things told me the same. He has already taken the reigns and is setting everything up because he has the ability to web host and has access to a data base as well. I believe he is going with phpBBB. Thank you for corroborating however.

Dustinduse

Dustinduse

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
PHPBB is what i use... it seems very easy to use and everything. i love it

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you really need function, IPB and vBull are worth the money, and IPB has more features, vBull is easiest to use.

Johanna