Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find proper help

• Please log in to reply

H8Red

H8Red

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I've had this computer for a few years and I'll try to explain what has happened, and I would appreciate ANY help you night be able to give.

I'm running Windows XP home edition.

A few weeks ago I uninstalled the software for my old PSC to install the new one. I used the add/remove option in the control panel to remaove the software. I then followed the instructions step-bystep for the new PSC. No problem! Works great!

A couple days later Windows starts trying to configure the new PSC for some reason and doesn't want to function properly without the software disc in the drive. I figure I'd just uninstall and re-install, no problem. WRONG! After uninstalling, I rebooted as instructed and attempted to re-install when the found new hardware wizard opened. I let it do as it is supposed to and let it find the info on the disc (I just clicked continue) and the install was sucessful. I still had the same problems though.

I figured I'd just wipe out the printer and start again from a point before I even installed, so I did a system restore to the point I un-installed the old PSC. I re-installed the new one again, and it is still having its problems, but I have bigger concerns now.
1. System Restore opens to a blank window
2. Search Assistant opens to a blank window
3. User Accounts open to a blank window
4. Certain IE components don't work e.g. 'next page' links (not even if I right click to OPEN or even OPEN IN NEW WINDOW)
5. NortonAV is now GONE from my desktop, although it says it is still there, it's not even in the toolbar!
6. Windows Media Player won't even open, for anything.

I'm at my wits end and I'm ready to use HP's system recovery files and just start over (after I burn about 100 cd's to save my and the wifes files)

Any help from you guys would be, well, you know, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks in advance... H8Red-as in-I HATE MY COMPUTER NOW!!! lol

Edited by H8Red, 09 August 2006 - 03:56 PM.

Advertisements

H8Red

H8Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I thought I'd at least try to find help, but I guess I've stumped you guys too (along with several other sites like this one.) Thanks anyway. I'm going to burn a lot of cd's today and try a complete system recovery. I guess if that doesn't work I'll just get a new harddrive and see what happens then. If I can't get things to go well then I'll take a hammer to it, and then call Dell, and get a brand new system. Kinda sux to do it this way, but oh well.......

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Sounds like 1 of 3 things....

Virus
Faulty HD
The printer or whatever the PSC is you are trying to install is outdated and its drivers/hardware are causing you windows problems...

What exactly is the PSC? And have a lil patience on waiting for answers... or not you posted 2 days ago :whistling:

Tell me the PSC and make and model#

Tell me your dell make as well.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 11 August 2006 - 08:58 AM.

H8Red

H8Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for the impatience, but I really am at my wits end.

I currently have a HP Pavillion 553w, runs an AMD XP2100+. Bought it about 3 years ago, top of the line then. Since then I have installed a 128 MB Nvidia vid card and a 500MB ddrsd ram chip, so it has 768 BM ram.
The PSC is a printer-sanner-copier all in one. It is the HP PSC 1610.

I don't think I have a virus, but I will run a HJT and post the results if you like.
But, in hindsight, my wife has been playing around on 'myspace.com' and we may have picked up something.
I will check this again later today, I'm going to run HJT now, and start burning cd's, I have to save the family pics (i have some burnt already, but gotta get the recent ones) thanks for replying. I'll show a lil' more patience, but I only have a few more days to resolve this, I'll be leaving town for work and the wife doesn't understand as well as I do on the 'what to do.'

Thanks again.

Almost forgot, I don't have a Dell, but I stress the YET! haha

Edited by H8Red, 11 August 2006 - 09:16 AM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well if you reformat, make sure you get xp sp2, make sure if you go to install the printer, DONT use the cd that came with it, go to the hp site and get the drivers that way, they are probably updated drivers VS whats on the cd.

Also check for possible bios updated/ driver updates for your HP computer as well on that site, often times they release bios updates that sometimes have fixes for related issues...

I could help you do all this now, but with all your other programs that are not working such as norton etc... I would say go ahead and back it all up, reformat...

on another note yes there have been many vulnerabilities with myspace lately, viruses, spyware etc...

I had one where someone tried to add me, and when I clicked the profile to see who it was, it brought me to a myspace page, ill go ahead and show it...

This is an intresting thing I ran across. I posted screenshots and the actual link below. Another virus sweeping in Myspace attempting to appear as the new "My Space Messenger" while my spaces messenger ( if and when working ) is an online messenger and not a download...

Warnig I submitted that file to symantec myself, as it was not detectable by my vurrent definitions. They detected it as a virus and did release definitions for it.

Here was my submittage to myspace

During usage of myspace someone attempted to add me as a friend by the name of Naomi, when I clicked the name to view the profile, the link it took me to was this...

http://www.space-im.com/

I did download the file , and scanned it with Symantec, it is not infected, however I believe the file is something that will compromise a users system. ( The file IS infected with a trojan )

Also the page it links you to is all fake, only the download links work.

I also provided some screenshots to help you in case this link is gone by the time you read this...

http://img519.images.../invalidup8.jpg

http://img519.images...invalid2zp6.jpg

http://img45.imagesh...invalid3gk5.jpg

http://img73.imagesh...invalid4nh2.jpg

A few days later

This message is an automatically generated reply. This system is designed to analyze and process virus submissions into the Symantec Security Response and cannot accept correspondence or inquiries.
Please contact your Technical Support representative if more detailed information about your submission is required. Do not reply to this message.

Below is a status update on your virus submission:

Date: July 18, 2006

Daniel
none

Dear Daniel,

We have analyzed your submission. The following is a report of our
findings for each file you have submitted:

filename: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\myspaceIM.exe
machine:
result: This file is detected as Trojan.Emcodec.B. http://www.symantec.....emcodec.b.html

Developer notes:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\myspaceIM.exe is non-repairable threat. NAV with the latest available definition detects this. Please delete this file and replace it if neccessary. Please follow the instruction at the end of this email message to install the latest available definitions.

this is a fake install dropping a trojan.

Symantec Security Response has determined that the sample(s) that you provided are infected with a virus, worm, or Trojan. We have created RapidRelease definitions that will detect this threat. Please follow the instruction at the end of this email message to download and install the latest RapidRelease definitions.
Symantec is now building a new set of definitions to include the threat you have submitted. The approximate time to complete this process is one hour. We recommend checking the ftp site periodically over the next 60 to 90 minutes to download these definitions as soon as they are available.

H8Red

H8Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey thanks man. This won't be a reformat as per se, but I'm going to try HP's system recovery program. HP doesn't include a disc with their system, and the way I understand it, this is what I have to do. I will post again a few days from now and let you know how everything went, so again I give you my thanks.
I also ran the HJT and looked at the file and I saw nothing there, except for the new PSC files that run in the background. I will do as you say with the DL drivers, but I had checked when the install disc prompted me to check for updated software (all software and drivers were current.) This is supposed to be a new top-o-the-line product, but I think they haven't worked out the bugs in it yet. I have scripting errors now when attempting to scan, and can't even get a preview.
Now I go to backing up photos and game files (I play MoH:SH online, even though I'm 35 I enjoy gaming)
and I pray that this will solve my problems. If not I will get a new system for us (hence the 'Dell' reference), and this one will get re-worked with a new HD, processor, mother board, just some good updated hardware to bring me back to the forfront of technology.
Thanks again.

H8Red

H8Red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I give up. Tried the system recovery and I got a blue screen that said 'STOP' can you believe this?
I think what I'll do is buy a new system when Vista hits the market, then get a new HD for this one.
I really appreciate the help, but for now it's a lost cause.
My brother has the Windows disc(s) that contain every version up to XP Pro, I think I'll have him load it onto a new HD and see how well it works for me then.
Again, Thanks for all the help. You've been terrific.