Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failing Drive

• Please log in to reply

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
Hey again, I'm having trouble with a friends failing HD getting some pictured off of hit before I smash it with the sledge (its the 3rd maxtor I have seen fail within a 5 year lifespan). Usually I get by without trouble, but I fear this particular drive has been in use too long and is a lot farther gone than the others. I am getting into the drive (set as a slave to my boot drive, both are SATA onboard). The slave is recognised in BIOS and windows, but when I try to transfer any data, it give me an I/O error (I dont remember exactly what it said). If anyone has any idea how to help or needs more info, the help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had problems with I/O errors when i used a AMD computer to try accessing slaved HD's( installed just to do what you are doing) that were originally in Intel cpu computers. I have no explaination for this and it does not always happen with every HD but it has happened 3 times now. So i would try using a same cpu computer to recover the data if possible. It did work for me.

SRX660