Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files Like a Rash All Through My Puter

• Please log in to reply

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Please see atached lists to see the lots of 'stuff' I didn't used to have.
I upgraded to XP2 last night hoping to clear some and've only exacerbated the situation.
Does anyone know if there's a way to reduce this amount of clutter or is it just a feature of a larger SP2?
Thanks,
Max.
(Click on Picture)..

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Learnatic, 09 August 2006 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Windows XP Service Pack 2 contains a great deal of security updates. The blue folders are data for the uninstallation of those updates (which also appear in the last picture). You can hide Microsoft Updates from appearing in Add or Remove Programs by checking the "Show updates" checkbox in the upper-right side of the window. The middle picture shows the .NET Framework. Wikipedia has some good information on it here

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a component of the Microsoft Windows operating system. It provides a large body of pre-coded solutions to common program requirements, and manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a key Microsoft offering, and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks Pi ( 3.14159?),
Checked the box as instructed and cleared the page a bit.
Now, as my "Explorer" seems to be running sluggish compared to all other functions, could the mass ( not all shown) of files in my Windows folder be causing this?
Are they perhaps files that should've been deleted after installation?
Any advice is good advice.
Thanks,
Max.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Yes, I know around 250 digits. :whistling:

Anyway, the files in the Windows folder are likely necessary. If you would like to remove unnecessary files, try CCleaner. To make Explorer go more quickly, I would try a CHKDSK (like ScanDisk) and defragment. To do these, just right-click your drive, then click Properties and go to the Tools tab. Allow CHKDSK to run the next time you reboot.

Edited by Pi rules, 11 August 2006 - 07:38 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Check my entry at [near the bottom of the page as of this moment]:

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry758250

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks and Merci,
'Explorer' running quicker after using the Registry 'Issues' feature in "CrapCleaner". There were about a hundred bad files subsequent to my installation and uninst of Nero 7 ( and happy inst of Vers 6.6).
http://www.geekstogo...=rash learnatic
I run Spybot, AdAware Pro, Norton Corporate and Ewido Premium.
Great listing of folders in Windows folder still there though.
Thanks agan for the help and guidance.