Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop ping WAG54G router problem

• Please log in to reply

zillah

zillah

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have got this scenario.

I have got my laptop wireless connect to ADSL router LinkSys WAG54G, and My desktop PC with dialup connection .

From both PCs I can ping any sites on the net, but when I try to ping each other I could not (from PC to laptop, and from laptop to PC), I do not have any firewall on both PC, though I tried to ping gateway for linksys router from the desktop PC (through internet not network), I could not.!!!!

Is there any setting I have to be aware of it?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What are the ip addresses you are trying to ping? Are they 192.168.... addys?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Are they 192.168.... addys?

No, this private IP address (192.168.x.x) becaues it wont be seen from outside, I am trying to ping the public IP that has been assigned to ADSL router via ISP which is 217.23.X.X

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
That's what I was checking. I know on my Belkin router I have ping turned off, so it will not echo any pings. Is there a certain reason you need to ping your computer?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Is there a certain reason you need to ping your computer?

To do experiment.

By the way if I am not able to ping (layer 3 icmp protocol), how can I access my router remotly in case if I need to access router via internet. Beside that I think we do not have facility with this simple linksys router ( unlike cisco router) to configure the firewall (ACLs) to prevent ping, and allow the other tcp protocol.

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey Zillah.
I'm just curious as to whether your issue was solved. If not, let's see what we can figure out.
Let me know if you would still like us to help.
Thanks.
Gophergutz

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks Gophergutz

No, not yet, any new comment can you advise us?

zillah

zillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have not heard from you