Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Duo Core 2 T2050 1.6GHz vs Pentium III 1.6GHz

• Please log in to reply

iceman2003

iceman2003

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am thinking about purchasing a new Toshiba Laptop A105-4074 running with Intel Duo Core 2 T2050 if it would be an improvement over my old desktop Pentium 1.6GHz desktop w/768MB RAM. Don't really do much but I am starting to do a lot of transferring of video from my digital camcorder to the PC so that I can burn it onto DVDs. Not doing much editing and am using Cyberlink PowerDirector 5. Will you there be a speed improvement in rendering and burning DVDs? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just a personal opinion here.

Core speed is core speed so i don't think you will see any improvement with the core duo. If it is slightly better i don't think it will be enough for you to notice the speed difference. I would think about getting a new laptop that was much faster like a 2.16 core duo laptop. Here Anandtech's take on them.

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2663

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SRX are you messing P3 at 1.6 and a core 2 at the same speed are in totally different leagues of speed the core 2 is ALOT more effiecient with its speed its also got two cores, it would be alot faster than the p3 by a country mile i think we have seen in recent years how clock speed is irelevant to a fair extent.

All the video based work and creating the disk images would get a big speed boost from the core 2 as its a largely cpu intensive process the two cores will go through that in no time at all.

iceman2003

iceman2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your input. I will purchase the new laptop.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
ok, SRX, wat are you talking about? its not just RAW speed, the architecture, 2 cores, the core duo, is WAYYYYYYYY better.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Also, a Intel Core 2 duo @ 2.6GHz can easily outperform a Pentium D @3.6GHz, so if you take it down a notch Intel Core 2 duo @1.6GHz vs. a Pentium 3 @ 1.6GHz the Intel Core 2 duo can EASILY outperform a P3.