Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi I was getting ready to install a new copy of Windows XP,on a compaq presario, like many times before. I set the jumpers on the Hard Drive to Slave,and the CD-Rom to Master, and entered the XP setup, then deleted the curent partition,and then created anew partition,and partioned it,and then it came to the point of copying files,and said starting windows,and said it was going to reboot, well it rebooted,but instead of going on and starting, or finishing the insalation,it started all over,wanting to go thru the formatting and loading files, again.

I worked at this for about 4 hours and called it quit's.
Later I installed the harddrive into a gateway, and it installed the os no problem.

Can someone tell me what was wrong with the compaq, not wanting to accept the os.

Thanks for any help...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are using a recovery CD a lot of them do not have the windows OS on the cd. What is on the recovery cd is a file used to access a hidden partition on the hard drive to reinstall windows. If you fdisked and reformatted the drive you may have lost this hidden partition.

When you buy a new H-P or Compaq computer you will find a utility that will let you backup your OS to cd's or dvd's. Many of my friends i have had to tell them to use this utility to make the set of recovery cd's or dvd and then use them to make sure that they work. I have seen where twice they did not work properly. Calling the company( or emailing) usually got them to send out a replacement recovery CD at a nominal cost( $45 last time i did this)that has the OS on the cd.

SRX660