Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Halo pc game freezes and crashes when I try to play

• Please log in to reply

Thames

Thames

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Everytime I try to play Halo for PC, it will after a few minutes freeze and I'm forced to shut off my computer completely and restart (on rare occasions I can play for a good half hour before it freezes). Sometimes the game will freeze and then the screen will scramble. I have called my computer company in the past and they told me to decrease my hardware accelleration, but the game still freezes up etc. I have a XGI Volari XP-5 video card and the only way I can upgrade is to call the manufacturer, which to be honest is really a waste of my time at this moment and I'd rather find a way to fix it without going through that hassle.

Edited by Thames, 09 August 2006 - 11:12 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When the computer restarts, do you see a blue screen appear for about half of a second?

Thames

Thames

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No that's never happened. But I used to get a blue screen that said the error code and a message, however that doesn't happen anymore. It just freezes and scrambles.

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thames and I were both trying to get this problem corrected but with no luck. We both have played the game a couple of times, but mostly when she tries to get on- it just pixelizes and freezes. We tried lowering the hardware acceleration but if we go too low, the game is unable to even be used since it needs some hardware acc. (or so it seems). Let us know what we can do to resolve the problem. We've been wanting to play multiplayer for quite some time!

Thanks,
MCG

Thames

Thames

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
More info here. I just tried Halo and it crashed again. I received a stop error, here's the stuff microsoft crash analysis sent...notice it says no solution available :whistling: Maybe you all can help....

Error caused by a device driver
Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.
Error report summary
Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible
Information about this error
You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
Next steps
We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.
Article ID : 10

Edited by Thames, 11 August 2006 - 10:50 PM.

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:whistling:
I hate to keep bumping, but we have tried almost everything and still cannot get Halo to run properly. What's more is Thames' laptop is a newer Dell Inspiron laptop (got it a year and a half ago) and can play the game here and there but not all the time! I had a 2002 Dell Inspiron (do the math- it's two and a half years older than Thames' laptop) with an nVidia card and it ran Halo just fine!! Of course, I couldn't play with speculation or shadow or anything with eye candy but it played the game regardless with no freezes or scrambles. My laptop was a year older than Halo PC and could still run it LOL! Since we are able to play maybe once out of ten or so attempts at playing, I know that there is something buggy that needs to be fixed. If someone could kindly guide us in the right direction MUCH would be appreciated! Thames' laptop specs are up top and she also included the error message that she receives when she has to manually shut the comp. down after the freezing of Halo.

One more thing if she didn't mention above- we do NOT want to have to purchase a new video card for one game! Like I said- it does indeed work...we just haven't found the solution to make it work 100% of the time...

Thanks,
MCG

mellocelloguy

mellocelloguy

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
anyone?