Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System 32 folder keeps opening at startup

• Please log in to reply

ltstangel

ltstangel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Several months ago the System 32 file folder started opening up when I start my computer. So far I've been unsuccessful in finding out much about it. Tonight I stumbled across a posting someone else submitted and they were having the same problem. If someone could offer me help with this I'd be most appreciative. Although I'm a little concerned about it, I'm mostly annoyed and frustrated. I'll be glad to get you whatever other system information you need.
Thanks in advance for any help.
ltstangel

Edited by ltstangel, 09 August 2006 - 11:38 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Possibly caused by an incorrect entry in the Registry keys that control programs launched at start-up.

The two main keys are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Each named value within these two keys represents a program launched at start-up; each value's data holds the command to be executed.

If the command is blank or contains just a character in double quotation marks, this missing data can cause Windows Explorer to display the System32 folder at start-up.

Click start then run, type regedit and the press enter

Click file, click export, check the dot is in all for export range, name the file and save to a folder you create in My Documents

Locate either of the registry keys mentioned above.

Look carefully at each value in the right-hand pane. If the value's data is blank, contains only single quotation marks, or otherwise appears to be corrupted, delete the value. Repeat the process for the other key, then restart your system to verify that the problem Explorer window does not appear at start-up.

ltstangel

ltstangel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you kindly for your quick response, Keith. I followed your instructions,but have some questions before I am able to complete.

There were two RUN folders under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Both had one entry that didn't have any data, which I deleted. They both had 2 enttries that didn't have any quotation marks at all. They are (Defalt) (Value not set), which I'm assuming I leave and also ctfmon.exe.. The data for this (which you are probably already familliar with) is c:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe . Do I keep this file or delete it?

There were also two RUN folders under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. The first RUN folder had 8 entries in it, one of which didn't have any data. I deleted this file. This first RUN folder also had a collapsed folder called OptionalComponents underneath it, which I didn't do anything with.

The second RUN folder had quite a few entries in it and two didn't have any data. I deleted these. Both folders 1 and 2 have entries with data that dont have any quotation marks. Again, do I only delete entries with blank or single quotations or ones that don't have any quotations as well?

One last question (with this response anyway) :whistling: The 1st RUN folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE..... folder had a couple of entries with unusual looking data. (at least to me) So I wanted th double check with you to see if they should stay or go.

The numerical part of the NAME at the beginning of both entries is the only thing different between the 2. The part that is NOT bolded is the part that is the same in both files. I'm just going to give you the one right now. If you want to see the other, let me know. 0038371155206945mcinstcleanup. This is a McAfee file.

I hope this all makes sense. I know I've probably given you way more information than you need or (want for tht matter. )Please forgive me if this is the case. I'm just trying to save time on both ends.

Thanks again, Keith.
ltstangel

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can right click ctfmon.exe, click modify and enter this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

for the value data

Can you copy and paste the unusual data

ltstangel

ltstangel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was gone for a couple of days and just got back to check your follow up. First the good news. The System 32 folder at start up no longer appears! Cheers!

Unless I misunderstood something, the entry you gave me to paste into the ctfmon. exe data was already there, so I didn't do anything with it.

The unusual data that I referred to was the 0038371155206945mcinstcleanup. Today, insteada of two, there is only one listed and it's a different one than the one above that I mentioned the other day. It's 0250261154360513mcinstcleanup. Again, these are both Mcafee files.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the system32 folder is clear and McAfee runs properly then it isn't a problem