Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE DISABLED! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Im trying to set up a resore point because last time i updated windows it erased my entire desktop, got rid of all my settings for all of my programs and changed everything around to the way wondows is when you first install it. When it happened, it restored fine to how it was before the update... but now im trying to create a restore point so in case it happens again, so i can go back to where i was. But now every time i try to go to system resore, it says "System resore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on system restore, contact your domain administrator" I am the only user on this computer and nothing like this has ever happened before. Also, my windows Firewall is disabled and it wont re-enable! Thats the whole reason that im tryin to update. It has been a couple of weeks since the update that messed me up. I have Windows XP -NOT UP TO DATE- and a Dell Demension 4600. There is alot going wrong here! Thanks in advance.

EDIT: ALSO I JUST NOTICED THAT MY TASK MANAGER HAS ALSO BEEN "DISABLED" ALONG WITH AIM!!! WHATS GOIN ON?!?!?!?!
EDIT: RAN SPYWARE CHECKS AND GOT THE TASK MANAGER FIXED BUT STILL NO SYSTEM RESTORE.

Edited by 11010110, 10 August 2006 - 01:56 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got Home or Pro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Home

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The System Restore tab is missing in My Computer Properties and when you start System Restore you receive this message:

System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on System Restore, contact your domain Administrator.

OR

The System Restore Properties page shows disabled by Group Policy

For Windows XP Home Edition:

Click Start then run, type regedit and then press enter

Locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore

In the right-pane:

Delete the value DisableConfig

Delete the value DisableSR

For Windows XP Professional:

Click Start then run, type gpedit.msc and then press enter

Navigate to this path:

Computer Configuration

Administrative Templates

System

System Restore

Set Turn off System Restore to Not Configured

Set Turn off Configuration to Not Configured

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks alot! Everything is back to normal! So was it just malware that my scanners passed up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A number of things could have caused it

To check for malware

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Will do! thanks a bunch!