Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clean install

• Please log in to reply

z00ropa

z00ropa

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Recently I upgraded my system, new everything, of course Windows XP didn't like that very much, but after some cursing, praying, and just dumb luck my system is working... most of the time.

The question is, my hard drive is filled with old files from the old system configuration, new files from the new system, and who knows what else. I have 54 processes running! After operating all day with no problems I got a blue screen error and had to restart.

So I bought a new hard drive and I want to make it the master and slave my old drive and do a fresh clean install of Windows XP. Is there a good method for transfering files from the old drive to the new one? Will programs still work if they are on the old drive, like games, photo programs, etc?

Any suggestions or advice would be great! Thanks. :whistling:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
If you are going to fresh install on the new drive, I would just keep the old one's contents for a while and slowly copy files/folders over as needed. You may need to read the link in my signature about taking ownership of files and folders in case you get an "Access Denied" error.

Programs should work if they are on the other drive as long as the shortcuts point to the new drive letter.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
You mentioned the drive letter. I tried to do a clean install alredy, but the installation failed to do complete windows xp installation. Anyhow, my old drive stayed C: and the new drive was F: will that be a problem?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Was there an error mentioned? Also, when your new drive gets letter F, is that when booting off your old hard drive?

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, when I tried to install Windows XP the first time on my new drive, I made it the master and slaved the old drive. During installation of XP it came up twice that files could not be found. One was i386 I don't remember the other. When Win XP stated up it was very odd. There was not internet explorer it would not let me activate it, when I clicked on the activation method nothing happened, even tried the manual command to activate still nothing. There was no help file, and the drive was designated as F: and my old drive stayed C:, oh and as far I could tell is booting off the F: drive.

Edited by z00ropa, 10 August 2006 - 12:10 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Just try installing again. First, make sure that the XP CD is clean without scratches.

Edit: Just make sure to reformat first and be positive that you are formatting the correct drive.

Edited by Pi rules, 10 August 2006 - 12:21 PM.