Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XFX Geforce 6800XT 256MB AGP

• Please log in to reply

cloaked05

cloaked05

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, I'm planning on upgrading my video card to XFX GeForce 6800XT 256MB AGP from my XFX GeForce 6200 256MB AGP. With GeForce 6800XT, I read that you have to connect something on the card to somewhere on your motherboard or PSU, how does that work? It also says there's a DVI to VGA adapter, I'm guessing that's where you plug your monitor to the VGA adapter to the DVI right?

-Also is the XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP video card perfect for high-end games like F.E.A.R?
-Are system specs good for games like that?

-AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (754 CPU)
-ASUS K8U-X Motherboard
-1GB DDR RAM (Samsung 512MB DDR 400 + Corsair 512MB DDR)
-MAXTOR 200GB HDD 16M
-GeForce 6200 256MB AGP
-LG 16X DVD +/-R/RW Dual Layer
-Sound Blaster 6 Channel
-400W Power Supply

Thank you for your time. >=)

Edited by cloaked05, 10 August 2006 - 09:09 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are using this video card, look at the pictures, you will see that it will take a standard 4 pin Molex connector for the extra power it needs. If you have a power supply that has 2 12volt cables use one just for the video card alone for best results. Any other hardware that is used in the game and connected to the same cable you plug into the video card will take away some power.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150157

If you look at the inside end you will see the molex plug-in. Because you want to do games always pick the best card with the most memory. The 6800 would do well with games. The 6600 your looking at is less memory and a smaller gpu. If you can afford it go for the 6800. The rest of your system looks good for what you want to do.

The 6800 card has only DVI outputs so you will have to use the vga adapter if you do not have a digital monitor. Yes, you plug the monitor cable to the adapter and then plug the adapter to the DVI connector.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 10 August 2006 - 04:37 PM.

cloaked05

cloaked05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh thanks!