Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RECENTLY BEEN RAM RAIDED NEED SECURITY HELP!

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from my reading it seems like the major advantages of the ES drives revolve around them being designed from the ground up for raid arrays...which you can't make with one drive... though according to what i posted...they are supposed to be a little more...physically robust

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Oh right so I guess the normal drive will be fine for 24/7 recording and adequate colloing right? And can I use a SATA cable for a SATA II drive or is there a perfomance hit?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a standard sata drive should be fine...not sure about the cable..but i would assume it should be fine...if not..the cables aren't exactly expensive

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have tried a couple of computer based video surveillance system and have gone back to using a cheap 4 camera system along with a VCR tape recorder that i bought from wallmart. The computer systems worked fine recording. It is when i decided to view the recorded videos it took forever to load. Perhaps i just did not find the right system but i am happy with what i have. Every 8 hours a file was made that was 1 gig in size on the computer. It don't take long to fill a 80 G drive that way. Going thru the pictures just to find a glimpse of someone was not worth the effort. Granted this was 2 years ago and maybe they have improved. My system works well now and can record up to 16 hours on 2 vcr tapes. I could have used a single vcr tape but the quality of the pictures was so low you could not even recoginize peoples faces. Of course a 24 hour video surveillance sign in the window might have detered some people.

I know this isn't much help but i thought i would throw it in the mix on this subject.

SRX660