Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need general help

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have something called My Ebooks I do not have the internet on my custom built computer so why is there a folder called My ebooks in my documents? And no matter how many times I try to delete it just reappears. The folder is empty.

Some of my games make folders for themselves in My Documents for example The Sims 2 main folder EA Games then sub-folder The Sims 2, and Command and Conquer the First Decade, Hitman Blood Money and a few others.
If I delete them then obviously the save files would go as would profiles. However I tried shifting them for a 'test' onto the desktop but the game did not have any profiles nor saves and when I closed the game I found a new folder of exactly the folder that was there before except this one had no saves etc.
Where can I shift these folders to so that they are no longer in my documents? And why do they place themselves there?

I have Cyberlink DVD Player installed and in my documents a .PlayList file appears called 'PDVD_MediaDisc.PlayList' 0KB. It is just annoying as I am a perfectionist and I do not like un-orderly items flinging themselves where they please.

I downloaded catalyst 6.7 and AVIVO 6.7 and uninstalled the previous version and when I double clicked on the Catalyst 6.7 it said .NET 2.0 must be installed I am pretty sure I only have V.1.1 but I do not know how to check does anyone know how to?

I can’t find where to download the V.2.0. Anyway the file installed itself anyway and Catalyst now says V6.7 and I tested the AVIVO engine by playing the Sharktale HD trailer- when V.6.6 was installed the lip movements and speech were completely out of sync now that it is V6.7 it is all completely in sync.

The problem is I am worried that it said before proceeding make sure you have .NET 2.0 or something along those lines so I am not sure whether it is ok that it installed itself or whether that means it will not function properly.

The main reason for concern is that somehow even though I uninstalled it (I did get some error message during the uninstallation process though I can’t remember what it said) even though I uninstalled all ATI software, when I opened the Control Centre it still had my settings there you know the personal settings like the amount of AA and my profile was still there. I update my drivers whenever ATI releases new ones however this is the first time I have run into problems.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have something called My Ebooks I do not have the internet on my custom built computer so why is there a folder called My ebooks in my documents? And no matter how many times I try to delete it just reappears. The folder is empty.

you can't delete it because it's a system folder like "my documents" or "my pictures" not real sure if there's a way to get it gone...but...if it's empty...does it really matter if it's there?

Some of my games make folders for themselves in My Documents for example The Sims 2 main folder EA Games then sub-folder The Sims 2, and Command and Conquer the First Decade, Hitman Blood Money and a few others.
If I delete them then obviously the save files would go as would profiles. However I tried shifting them for a 'test' onto the desktop but the game did not have any profiles nor saves and when I closed the game I found a new folder of exactly the folder that was there before except this one had no saves etc.
Where can I shift these folders to so that they are no longer in my documents? And why do they place themselves there?

there was probably an option during the installation of the games to decide where to put this stuff...and if you check within the game there may be an option to change this location....if not you may need to reinstall the game to see if it offers you a way to modify the save location....on that note...what's wrong with them being where they are?

I have Cyberlink DVD Player installed and in my documents a .PlayList file appears called 'PDVD_MediaDisc.PlayList' 0KB. It is just annoying as I am a perfectionist and I do not like un-orderly items flinging themselves where they please.

probably the same as above...there is probably a setting within cyberlink that tells it where to save things by default

I downloaded catalyst 6.7 and AVIVO 6.7 and uninstalled the previous version and when I double clicked on the Catalyst 6.7 it said .NET 2.0 must be installed I am pretty sure I only have V.1.1 but I do not know how to check does anyone know how to?

as a general rule...if the install says you don't have version 2.0 ...then you don't...but you could look in system info or add/remove programs and see what version shows up

The main reason for concern is that somehow even though I uninstalled it (I did get some error message during the uninstallation process though I can’t remember what it said) even though I uninstalled all ATI software, when I opened the Control Centre it still had my settings there you know the personal settings like the amount of AA and my profile was still there. I update my drivers whenever ATI releases new ones however this is the first time I have run into problems.

even if you uninstall all of the ati software there may be a configuration hiding somewhere try getting drivercleanerpro (google it) and use it to remove ALL of the ati drivers...then reinstall the new versions...also if you go to www.microsoft.com you'll be able to find the .net 2.0 software if y ou search for .net 2.0

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok got version 1.3 however microsft is telling me my version of windows is not legal????? this is a old dell with the original Windows 98 never been uninstalled or tampered with so what on earth? It wont let me download .NET2.0 any other way to download it and transfer it to my custom built computer via usb memory stick (my custom built computer does not have internet).

Oh and please could you pop over to the hardware section where you will find a post from me regarding a VERY urgent security issue seriously its literally about life or death not about computer security if you go there you willl understand.
thanks for replying.

Edited by Mitesh, 10 August 2006 - 12:31 PM.