Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Second SATA drive

• Please log in to reply

sporty540

sporty540

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a new Dell e510 with one SATA drive. Power connector will support a second drive in the next bay, but the data cable only supports one drive (apparently). Data cable routes directly to motherboard and has one connector (I'm used to IDE cables that allow you to connect 2 devices).

How do I install a second SATA drive? Is there a SATA cable that will support 2 drives, or do I need a separate controller, or what?

thanks for any help you can give!!

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
You have to get another cable (usually mobo's come with 2 but it's from dell... so) not that expansive. Look around too maybe you can find a HD that comes with one. make sure that your mobo has 2 SATA ports

sporty540

sporty540

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks - with my (bad) eyes, I didn't see there was a second SATA port on the mobo, but sure enough, it's there - I've already got the drive, so I'll just find a cable.

Thank you!!!!