Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

grinding noise when booting up

• Please log in to reply

justdilly

justdilly

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My computer makes a grinding noise when booting up. It sounds like its really struggling. When I try to shut down, windows will shut down but computer won't shut off. Now, I smell a smoking or burning before shutting down. What's wrong? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...anything could be wrong....but with the smell of smoke that's not good...you could be burning your PSU ( maybe the grinding noise is the PSU's fan being stuck?) or your HD could be failing, or your processor fan could be stuck, or your video card fan (if there is one)

can y ou tell where the sounds/smells are coming from?

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, I can't tell which one is smoking and I'm afraid to turn it on again. Is the PSU the power supply? This PC is an HP Pavilion about 6 years old. Would a fan be the reason why it won't shut down? Or power supply? How can I tell what the watts are on my power supply? Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a messed up power supply could cause it to not shut down all the way..(yes PSU is power supply unit)

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i think that psu is the suspect, 6 years is a long time and dirt dust plus normal wear and tear can kill a fan. So imo it's the most likely culprit. If it's smoking than it's real bad. i'd suggest you open up the case and smell around and try to locate the area with the problem.

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, guys..........I opened up the PC to look at the innards. I was all set to order a new power supply BUT this one is a Model ATX100-5. It is labeled Maximum continuous output power is 100 watts. I can't find one that small. Any suggestions other than junking it?

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
get at least a 350 WATT PSU 100 is very very bad. Get a good brand PSU such as Antec. You never want to go below 300 on a PSU because all the technology now a days requires a lot of power to power a computer and graphics cards ect...

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I realize more power is needed now a days but will more power cause my old hard drive, graphics card etc to blow.............This computer hasn't been updated except to add more memory. It said 100 watts is max, I thought it meant I shouldn't go over that. I don't play video games on it or store digital pics. Just maybe a little music.

Thanks!

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
noo nothing will happen if u get a bett PSU...100 WAtts max means thats the Highest your PSU will go. Meaning if it takes 150 Watts to run ur pc it will only put out 100 Watts. Where as a 350 Watt PSU will put out the full 150 Watts if thats what ur computer needs.

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, thanks longhorns and the rest of you guys. Now I just have to find a power supply that will fit in the space of the old one.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
no problem..all psu are pretty much the same size.