Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 activation

• Please log in to reply

J_Chey

J_Chey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am a complete and total moron and I have made an awful mistake and I don't know if it can be fixed...I called Microsoft and they wanted to charge me $245 to answer a question.

Here is my problem --

I just set up 2 new computers at work. They came with Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 installed, but included the disks. Well, here's where the retarded part comes in -- I, for some reason, decided that I would try to fix the Outlook on my computer using these disks because nothing else had worked...SO -- long story short, I activated the copy of Office on the wrong machine.
I've tried trouble shooting online, but I can't find anything other than to uninstall the version and reload a different one. I've tried that and it's not working.

help?

Advertisements

J_Chey

J_Chey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just a note -- I would seriously be willing to flip flop hard drives with this other machine or anything else that might help...

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
So, you have computers a, b, and c. You wanted the prog on a and b, but you put it in a and c by mistake.

Are there any differences in the content of the various hard drives? If not, then I wonder if making a copy of the old machines's registry and copying it to the new machine would help...just a stab in the dark. This would be enhanced if one or the other had a burner available to have some common files saved and later to share or to transfer from a to b or from b to a, or whatever.

If that does not work, then I think the absolute easiest and cheapest way to go has been answered by yourself ...just switch hard drives, or buy a new hard drive, costing, relatively, peanuts, and make the switch.

Did you check to see how many times you are allowed to activate the original copies?

Is there an option, like in XP that if you exceed the allowed number, you can call India for a new one ...all they want to know is if you are installing this on more than one machine, and you say no! It is a fairly innocuous process, but embarrassing at worst.

I am interested in the solution...

...Al