Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

gwarior

gwarior

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Running Win XP SP2 using a SB4200 cable modem and Linksys WRT54G router. Installed the wireless router last night and the connection worked but kept randomly dropping. This morning I updated the firmware to HyperWRT hoping to use that firmware to boost my reception and all things went to h***....

Since the moment I updated the firmware I cannot obtain a viable IP address from my cable provider (Comcast) as I'm getting a 169.xxx IP address. I've tried plugging both my desktop and laptop directly into the cable modem with the same problem. I've reset the cable modem, tried a different router, nothing works. Any clue how my firmware on the router could have caused my cable modem to not sync up with Comcast to produce my IP. I called comcast and as always they are useless.

Thanks

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
this troubleshooting may help, quoted from http://www.chicagote...onnectivity.htm

"This connection has limited or no connectivity. "
"You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources"
Symptoms: after installed Windows XP SP2 and, you may experience one or any of the following symptoms:

· The network connection is working properly while you receive this message "Limited or No Connectivity".

· The network connection displays above message and you can’t access the network.

· You can’t renew the IP and receive this error: “An error occurred when renewing interface Local Area Connection: Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.”

· The ipconfig displays an APIPA address 169.254.x.x address.

· You have trouble connecting to the Internet with the DLS or cable modem.

Resolutions:

1. If your computer is currently connected to the Internet and the LAN without any connection problem, you may want to disable the message "Limited or No Connectivity".

2. If you are using DHCP, verify DHCP server is available on your network and other computers can access it.

3. Download and install the Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)

4. Check hardware connation and configuration.

5. Check firewall, spyware and winsock settings.