Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter Strike Source Problem..

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I just got a new computer with comcast high-speed internet. It's a top notch computer could handle EVERY game on the list over at the "can your computer run it?" website, but i seem to have a faulty connection when playing Counter Strike Source. I can play Day of Defeat Source for hours without any problems UNLESS someone else goes on my other computer and tries to play day of defeat source. So if i play day of defeat source i'm fine but when someone else goes on it like crashes both of our computer's connections and we have to restart the router. For counter strike source it only takes 1 person. So i open css and i can play for maybe 20 minutes MAX...then i automatically lose connection. Also, when i open up the server listings in counter strike source, if i let it load to the max, it like overloads and i lose connection which makes me think this whole problem has something to dow ith connection overload.

Why i think it has to do with overload....; in css, if i wait for the listings to max out i lose connection and in day of defeat source it seems as if it doesn't overload until 2 people are playing..

ALSO one last bit...rarely (maybe once a week or so) i'll lose connection while surfing the net or downloading dozens of files. When i lose connection my router's lights start flashing and i have to restart the computer to re-gain connection.

The computer that fails (mainly, although the other ones do too) is connected wirelessly via a little usb wireless G thing..

Edit: And one last thing...i turned on and off dmz (demilitarized zone or w/e) and it didn't make a difference.

Please :whistling:

Thanks...
Michael
SnipeAir

Edited by MR0624, 10 August 2006 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well for someone to play dod with you on the other pc then they would have to use thier own steam account. In other words you cant use the same steam id two play on two different pc's.

when you talk about css, are you trying to play on someone else's server or trying to host your own server?

is the new pc connected to the router over wireless or wired connection? Wireless connectivity is not recommended for gaming because of the high latency it has not to mention that it can drop and reconnect automaticaly causing having with active connections.

I would also recomend that you visit your routers manafucature's website and perform a firmware update.

MR0624

MR0624

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
okay...my several answers..lol..

It was 2 different steam id's it was my friend playing on the other compu.

Doesn't matter if i play on someone elses server or host my own or play on my REAL server (which i own, not a lan a real internet server) either way it fails.

Wireless..i'm still getting great speeds and when i can play great pings..also it would b e costly cuz i'd have to drill through brick to get this computer wired directly and not wirelessly.

Firmware update..doing it right now...

Thanks