Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very unique problem!

• Please log in to reply

ashton

ashton

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi, my name is ashton and im on a windows 98 laptop and it is really messing up.

first of all, the screen is really small and has black edges around it. second of all, i cant really download my windows updates because it gets stuck on "preparing to download". third of all, i cant load anything popping up from a website, such as... a game. if i click the link it pops up a window but stays blank. i tried a lot of computer help chatrooms. so far, none were effective. so i decided to post instead. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

ashton

ashton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i forgot to add... i downloaded spybot search and destroy and it says" error, missing dll file" what does this mean?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, some of this, I wouldn't know what path to put you on, however, for the display issue, can you try updating your video card drivers by going to your video card manufacturer's website? If you have on-board video and no card, let us know that as well.

ashton

ashton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
how do i find out where my video card is from on the back of the laptop i got imported parts.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The best way to do it is to click on Start -> Run. In the Run box, type dxdiag and press enter. If you see a small box appear, click on yes. You will now see a large box with your system information on it. Click on the video tab, and at the top-left is your video information. Please tell us what it says.

ashton

ashton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
theres no video tab. but, there is a display tab. should i post that info?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ah yes, sorry about that. Display is the tab you're looking for.

ashton

ashton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
name: chips and tech. 65554 PCI
manufacturer: chips and technologies inc.
chip type:
DAC type:
approx total memory:
current display mode:640x480[4-bit] (optimal refresh rate)
monitor:plug and plsay monitor

I tried changing the resolution to 800x600, but my laptop wouldnt let me.