Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Hangs Up

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. Long time no probles, :blink: Yet here I am again.

Recently, since yesterday, I began to frequently encounter the following. I would run a game or an application, and the windows would freeze, with harddrive light being steadily lit and no harddrive sound present. I waited a few minutes hoping the PC was "thinking", yet noting happened, so I had to power it down the hard way. It gives exact symptoms of bad Hard Drive. However, just in case, I ran the Diskcheck (it asks to schedule the check for next reboot and so I did), Antivirus, Spyware Doctor, and now I am defragmenting to see if this will help.

One thing I must mention is that I am using Two Harddrives. First is the Master. It is SONY particioned into three parts. System, C, and D. Total of 250 Gig. I have another Harddrive, slave, it used to be the master before I bought newer, better HD. I partitioned it into E and G. There is a third part that used to be System but now not used for anything. Anyway, the G part is 15 Gigs in space. I used it as a Temp for System and Temp for user. I want it that way, and it has been like that for a while.

Please tell me why the Windows freezing. :whistling:

Advertisements

felix_1961

felix_1961

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Ye gods... I've been having the same problem since yesterday, too!

My desktop computer freezes in a *totally* random fashion while using anything Windows-related (I have Windows XP, Home ed.). Did pretty much the same checks you did, repeatedly. I even uninstalled & reinstalled Office 2003, removed my external hard drives... Nada. I've spent all day trying to fix my darn PC!

Two scary things that happened: all my windows updates are gone, and while trying to fix stuff this afternoon, there was a weird noice when I rebooted (only once), like a phone ring, or a doorbell. Methinks this is a virus. :blink:

(please, tell me I'm wrong!!!)

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok, my PC seem to work fine now, (NOT Freezing). I did defragment, deleted contents of user temp folder, and cleared my IE Cache, History, Etc. This topic is closed. :whistling: