Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still can't download Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

Lidflipt

Lidflipt

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I've already posted a topic about this and no luck. My computer is a Gateway 200ARC notebook. I recently had a new hard drive and drivers installed. When I try to download SP2, it installs properly (I think) but I can't load it. Wizard starts, I click the service agreement and about 10 minutes into it when it's verrifying files or something I get that annoying Windows Error report where your only option is to send response or cancel. All windows for the download close and I'm back to square 1.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!?

Thanks in advance

flipt

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try uninstall the download or just uninstall to your old version of service pack whether its 1 or 2 and start over

nevermind rewriting if that dont work maybe the wizard finds something wrong with your previous installation

Edited by rushin1nd, 11 August 2006 - 12:16 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
All of the suggestions below are in order and are done one at a time, as needed:

1. if you do not go on the net, don't bother
2. if you do go on the net, once in a while, and do not visit any questionable sites, just have the best 2-3 AV/Malware prog you can find installed, and forget the updates
3. if you do go on the net, and visit all the nasty sites, make sure that you have all your vitals backed up to burned CD's, then run at the c:\ prompt the following [ c:\sfc_/scannow ] and let Windows do its thing...it'll take about 15 minutes or so
4. if that does not work, reinstall from the orig Windows CD, but before you get to that point run the system restore application
5. run whatever other restore apps you have
6. import a saved copy of the registy which you saved when all was working well
7. run as many reg repair apps as you can...each seems to find something different to complain about
8. defrag
9. chkdsk
10. reinstall Windows over the old copy
11. format hard-drive [this just does a cursory wipe]
12. fdisk hard-drive [kill it dead...the ultimate insult to Windows...kick it off the HD and then invite it back in when it is being more civil :whistling:]
13. reinstall apps from saved burned CDs
14. lastly, install SP2 and then follow that up with all the other updates...SP2 may not allow for the reinstall of certain 3rd party software so if you have any probs, you will have to unistall SP2, install the problem apps and then reinstall SP2

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I say yes to only

3. if you do go on the net, and visit all the nasty sites, make sure that you have all your vitals backed up to burned CD's, then run at the c:\ prompt the following [ c:\sfc_/scannow ] and let Windows do its thing...it'll take about 15 minutes or so

lol...

SP2 has many features that will protect against attacks, and patches many vulnerabilities, it is important to do them.

However, it is true, if you are not using it for the net, then dont bother. But im 99% sure you are since you are posting here in the first place... I used to know people who owned and used pcs but no isp, this is year 2006, and there is really no other reason to have a pc than the net :whistling:

do the sfc scan as he said. Do you use xp home or pro?

Home has a restore feature that I believe pro does not, course i could be wrong, never tried it with pro... but the home restore you can do without losing your files.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Personally, I am all over the place...nasty places :whistling: and not so nice places :help: and wonderful places. I'm armed to the ear lobes; do almost hourly maintenance; run all sorts of things in the back ground and, before and after certain functions, such as installs.

If it involves a product that I am testing and it acts up, out it goes; then a clean up, then a reinstall, then a clean up, then further testing...over and over and over again.

The nasty sites are the so-called "undergroung" ones :blink: where the lions and tigers live, and great big loathsome spiders...don't like spiders :) Unfortunately, one takes his computer's life into his own hands under those conditions, and dealing with malware and viri are part of the process, part of the challenge of building a pretty impervious system. That is where PC-cillin has earned its keep, as far as my system is concerned.

Windows XP has been a big improvement, and as said earlier by many, those updates are critical, especially any for Windows Defender and the .net Messenger service. I avoid anything to do with Outlook as it seems to be the portal of choice for many nasty folks. I use Netscape to avoid IExplorer vulnerabilities. I use Copernic for my search engine, mostly, as MSN and google appear to be on the cusp of being challenged.

If I have any weaknesses it is due to the software I use, not the due diligence I adhere to, to protect my system.

This knowledge is then imparted to those whose computers" systems, I repair. If you are going to own a pet, it is your duty to care for it, like one of the family.

I believe that knowledge is power, and education is mandatory when operating a computer, and especially if you are going to visit the internet. So, I also read copiously, the various articles, etc. on some of those underground sites. Astalavista is one that I recomment. Asta used to be one of the less then communicative sites once upon a time. Based in England, they got religion and now are in the forefront of exposing the seamier side of the net. They in turn refer you to other like sites, that educate and inform.

I am on the computer for up to 12 hours a day straight, researching and testing. This has been greatly reduced over the years.

I am also an amateur genealogist, and share my knowledge with a great many who are doing the same.