Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieving Data from my Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

RKelley1

RKelley1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Kat
I have this old computer that i'm not using any more mainly because it stop working for some reason i think it may have caught a virus but i need to retrieve as much Data as i can from it can you help me?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really wanted to save a lot of things off my old Packard Bell Legend 1750 computer. It has Win 95B and the floppy drive quit working long ago. USB flash drives do not work in it. Installing a CD-RW in the computer caused it to crash when i tried burning a CD. Maybe the 32 Mb of ram was just not enough.

I got tired to trying things and finally just pulled the hard drive out of the old computer, set the jumper to slave and installed the drive on my new Athlon 2400 puter on the 2nd IDE. It took me a couple of hours to look for everything i wanted to save and transfer them to the athlon HD. A hour later i had the old P-B back up and running. It was the easist method that i should have tried in the first place.

You might try this method. It was very easy for me.

As a socond drive in a computer and since the OS will not load you most likely will not have to worry about the virus unless you download it from the old HD to your newer computer. If windows will not see the drive the Hd may be dead and thats why the old puter would not start. You should have got some kind of error message if it was the HD, or at least a blinking curser in the top left corner.

SRX660

RKelley1

RKelley1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Set the Jumper to Slave on my old computer on the 2nd IDE, please forgive an ole man of 54 who is part dummie, but could you explain this a little, i have pull the hard drive out, what next... and may i take this time to thank you so much for your help....

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On the back of the hard drive is places where you can plug in the data cable, and a 4 pin molex power cord. Betwen these 2 is a set of pins that you can set to tell your computer how you want to run the drive. Heres the Maxtor and Quantum HD settings.

http://service.maxto.....m jumpers.htm

Western digital is here.

http://wdc.custhelp....amp;p_topview=1

And other hard drives you can find from here.

http://www.ontrack.com/jumperviewer/

Read the label on your HD to find out who made it and then look up the jumper settings for your drive. I would set the jumper to the slave position. A pair of tweesers will pull the pin out easily and place it back in where you want. If you have a HD and 2 cdrom type drives in your computer you most likely have 2 IDE cables. Scroll down on the webpage below to see what the IDE ribbon cable looks like.

http://www.pcguide.c...fCable80-c.html

If you have put the settings pin to slave install the drive on the middle connector on the IDE cable. Check the cdrom drive to make sure the jumper pin is set to master and it is on the end plug on the IDE cable. Sometimes the jumper pins will be set to CS, which is "Cable Select". All cable select does is let the computer choose wheather the drive is master or slave. This is usually determined by the placing of the cable connector to the drive. Cable Select will always make the end connector the master drive and the middle connector always as slave drive. Its just a bit easier to go ahead and set the drive jumper as slave.

When i am taking data off a Hd i do not even attach the side screws to hold the drive in the computer. First i take the side cover off the computer and just attach the power and data cables and stand the drive up where it does not sit on anything (usually on top of the other HD or just sitting on the bottom of the computer) and start the computer up. I will use "explore"( right click my computer) to copy and paste all the data off the drive into the main drive of the computer in a folder i usually call Downloads. I move complete folders with all the data in them to make things easier to find later. After moving all data, i shut the computer down and disconnect the HD, and put everything back the way it was.

If you do not understand something please ask about it here. We can explain as we go along with your data recovery.

SRX660

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, I have a similar problem where my OS (xp) is not being recognised by my PC due to a system32\config error. If I did as you have suggested would I have access to my old files on a new computer where the OS works ok?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Hi dan yes you should have... However if you had a password on your old system you would have to take ownership first... Sorry couldn't give you step by step off the top of my head... if you do need to post back and I'll try and remember all the steps...

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, Shard please let me know how to take ownership. Thanks

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
what operating system are we talking about? The new one that is....

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
XP pro although I may update to vista. I take it there are differences in ownership rights for different os?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well in the way of taking ownership yes.... I think with xp pro you can do it from an admin account where with xp home you need to go to safe mode admin account.... AHHH my straining memory... oh wait here we go try this link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, how can I do this if I upgrade to vista? Is it the same method as Xp pro? Thanks

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Not sure havn't done it myself but look here this looks to walk you through it.

http://thevistaforum...showtopic=13839

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks. When I get things up and running I will let you know how I got on