Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SHUTDOWN BUG ?

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:whistling: :woot: In the last week or so my system has developed a real bug on shutdown...the problem is that XP will not shut down. I have to pull the power plug to kill it.

The last file to run on shutdown is "License Manager" ...never heard of it before, and I have, what I think is a heck of a lot of computer experience, not as a programmer, but as a foe of Windows OS's, and a beta-tester. I spend hours a day working through the various bugs and challenges of working with this system. Anyway, I am pretty confident that I know what's up with the mind-games it plays with me. When in doubt, reformat ...that has become my motto, when working with Windows ...as a result I have a pile of burned CD's as backups. :blink:

So, this licensemanager.exe file is running at shutdown, and then it hangs there. Any attempt to work around it, is met with an error message telling me that whatever I am trying to do, is not going to work, as the computer is shutting down. Never seen this message before. I have some pretty good software in my system to sort things out, but if I cannot access them at critical moments like this, then they become useless ...thus the drastic power plug route. :woot:

It has been traced back to "licensemanager.exe" in the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Translat\LICENSEMANAGER.EXE location.

I've done an internet sweep to see if this is an issue with anyone else, apparently not ...MS has nothing on the file or the issue in the context of it acting like it is.

If I remove the file to a cache folder on the side, XP can't find it, and the affect is ...no problems with shutdown, startup, or general functioning.

It appears to be a needed file from Microsoft :help: because of its location on the drive and the references to it on the MS site. But nothing is there to signify what it is for. And there are no MS references in the file's properties write-up. It must have only come down the pipe in the last wee while ...as it has never caused a problem before. It is a DOS based file, by the way. So, it is being accessed by Windows and not available for editing as I found out when I snooped in side of it. All contents are hidden, so no reference as to what it is, or what it does can be had. If you have never seen this file, I can send you a copy. It is only about 258Kb in size.

There is also a reference to in the registry in the ACDSee references: ACDSeeLicenseManager.exe.

There are no other software connected relationships found there.

Subsequent to my hiding the file, I went to the MICROSOFT XP site and was checking out something else. I went to download a file that needed validating and it would not download, as "whatever" did not find what it wanted, and the error read that either there was a poor connection or I was using a pirated copy of XP which I am not.

Any advice? :)

Is the file really necessary to the on-going functioning of XP or any other service on the computer, or can I just leave it hidden for the time being. Everything works fine in the interim.

If you want to post your response to this inquiry to the forum, go ahead, but I would like a private response please, so that I don't have to do looking all over the place for your answer ...and I need it a.s.a.p. ...to be able to rest easy. :woot:

...kindest regards, Al

[email protected] [1=one, 0=zero]

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If all runs well without the file then I would back the file up to floppy if you have one then take the file out of the system.
Spyware data.com
If in doubt take a trip to our malware experts and see if they know of the file being a problem
Have a look at this about Translat
Translat
As I said I think a trip to Malware
and this is all I can find on ACDsee do you have this program?
ACDSEE

Edited by peterm, 11 August 2006 - 02:31 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
O.k., I think that I shall leave it in the cache folder where it is now. I visited the malware site and I was surprised to find so many versions. I tried to upload a copy to your site, but it apparently did not go through, as I see no evidence of it in my posting. The one I have was not listed on the malware.com site. I do not see a spot where I can contact them and send them a copy.

So, you've never run across this fellow before, or can recall where it came from? I have none of the products noted at the malware.com site. And, I am barricaded up the yin yang, so it befuddles me as to where it came from.

Kindest regards, and many thanks...Al

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
"and this is all I can find on ACDsee do you have this program? ACDSEE"

Sorry, missed the last comment. Yes, I have ACDSee. There is no licensemanager file in the ACDSee directory. And there is no path in the registry to denote where the supposed file is located, so that it can be traced.

I suppose that is where it eminated from.

There is a reference to it in the Windows policy folder...is that common for malware?

As long as it is isolated, nothing can get at it. And if all goes well, I will clean it out in a few days, or so.

Again, thanks...Al

larxanne

larxanne

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i had this problem before and i just removed it. my system was fine then(until my brother managed to get the SadCase trojan and i had to re-install windows)

Edited by larxanne, 11 August 2006 - 02:56 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I had already done the research and killed it before the last post arrived. Thanks, everyone, for your help. The next questions are:

1. where did it come from, and why did "Windows Defender" not stop it? :blink:
2. why did "PC-cillin" not catch it :help:
3. why did "hijack this" not tag it for removal :)
4. why did "a-squared free" not catch it :woot:
5. why did "trojan remover" not remove it :woot:
6. why was there only about a half dozen ref's to in on the net :woot:
7. why was there only one site to offer a solution...GEEKS ARE US? :yes:
8. eventually disarmed it and deleted it in DOS :whistling: