Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows KB89171.exe has me seeing Fatal blue

• Please log in to reply

muertemaldita

muertemaldita

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running a decent P4 2.8 w/512 mb ram on window 98 se, until recently all fine but after a windows critical update about a 4 days ago (KB891711) my computer is showing fatal exception errors- and they all vary in fashion. e.g. 0E has occurred at 0028:c1879641, or fatal exception 0D has occurred at 019F:BFF99B32. I have done some searches and these numbers are not showing up consistently enough for any quick solutions. My trail grew hot when i ran a window system's Dr. watson and it said that "windows KB891711 components has altered windows system files. module name KB891711.exe." Can anybody please let know what precautions i need to take in removing this d*** update. Or has anybody run into this problem before? :mad:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
actually, yes. Did run into it.

Add/remove control panel, remove update fixed the problem

muertemaldita

muertemaldita

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank YOU VERy mucho!!! YEah!!!!

bidule

bidule

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok i know this is solve but for information this kb891711 seemes to be a mistake of microsoft windows update :tazz: : it is not for win98 nor 98se but for xp as said in ms's database! Yet with windows update it advises win98se users to install it ;)
I had it, I uninstall it too, it should be said to all win98 users : DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE KB891711 !!!

Just FYI

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not true
Please read
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) related to this security update
here
http://www.microsoft...n/MS05-002.mspx

bidule

bidule

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, i said This KB was not suited for win 98 , because when searching it in ms's database there's no article for a kb891711 linked to win98 :
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en
and
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

It says there's only a KB891711 update for 2000, XP, NT server 4.0, 2003, Xp-64, and 2003-64.

So.... I dunno :tazz:

cabob

cabob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
KB891711 created problems for me when I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. Ran across Geeks to Go and it has saved the day for me. Everything back to normal. I actually called Microsoft about this, but they were not helpful.

Cabob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It absolutely is causing problems for some users, and I would defintely not install it, but it is nonetheless intended for users of windows 98.

I don't dispute it's a problem update, I am just saying that it was not a mistake.

The security breach is very real, and it does impact windows 98 users. That is my only point.

Rajiv

Rajiv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This also has conflict with Norton personal firewall ? I had to remove BOTH these entries from HKLM\..\..\runservices, to bring my system up.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
has a conflict with MANY programs...it is an update to very critical windows files so it could impact a lot of programs....I had heard that a fully updated Norton was not having problems anymore (this patch came out March 8)

But, then I read about someone else who was still having problems

It seems very machine depenedent