Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus AGEIA TM PhysX P1

• Please log in to reply

Quillander

Quillander

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello, I was just reading about "Asus AGEIA TM PhysX P1" and woundred if this card will benefit anything with Maya as an accelerator??? Is there anybody who have one of these card and/ or know something about Maya, physix and stuff....

:whistling:

Greatings from Terje

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The cards are limited in there uses and require the software that uses them to be coded using the Ageia physx engine(although it might work with Havoc) it depends there isnt alot of support for the cards especially since there is no agreed standard for physics.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thx, doesen't look like it gonna work or benefit anything, since maya uses something else. I was hoping that it was a replacement card for some kind of software.....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No its actually just software with a castrated gfx card to use to process its data, its nothing special in the card you can in theory use a gfx card to do the same job with modified drivers in fact ATI are working on doing that right now so one card can be used for gfx and another for physics. Ageia physX actually runs without a physX card.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

guess they all about makeing some extra $$$$$$$$$$

:blink:

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Side by side comparison.

More examples.

The Physx PPU, Physics Processing Unit, removes the burden of physics processing from the CPU and GPU. The results is the difference between a boulder and the particles that make up a boulder. If the side-by-side comparison doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Edited by -=blaster=-, 13 August 2006 - 11:01 AM.

Quillander

Quillander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Far as I have understood, the AGEIA only benefit the games that it is made for, and it is not a replacement card, for getting a general preformance boost like what i wanted.

What i wanted was something cheeper that this http://www.artvps.com/page/15/pure.htm

By the way, i see the diff

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yes, that's true, only games coded for the Physx PPU will show any of the effects.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah only games that are designed to make use of it can actually gain that boost as unless the game is designed with more physis objects than normal its largely superflous,but the card itslef is fairly useless its the software and drivers that do the business its technically possible to modify it to run on an old gfx card or the second core of a dual core cpu that usually isnt used in games some games are being designed to do just that with the second core and at the end of the year will be doing it with the 3rd and 4th core of the CPU. And as i said ATI with the increasing gfx card power make dual cards largely obsolete over the next couple of years are working on converting a 2nd or 3rd gfx card in crossfire to a physics card the prototypes get much better performance than even the production physx card.

I see what you are after there or the kind of thing you are, i think Havoc and ATI make things like that but they arent mass produced as far as i know they are more technology demonstrators to help adoption by developers.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
It's a good concept, however, with dual-core CPU's and the Graphic companies trying to get on board with their own physics processing, lack of games coded for it, and the fact that this is first generation hardware, I'll wait and see what develops in the coming months.