Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating Services

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I need to know if anyone knows the syntax for the sc create command. I am following what I see from MS but it still wont work.

Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I did find the synatax it is this:

sc.exe create "file name" binPath= "path to binary file"

Now my only problem is I cannot find the right binary file for WinPcap.

If anyone knows, help would be appreciated, thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on my winpcap (that is needed by ethereal) i think the rpcapd.exe is the capture daemon (though by the name it could be the remote packet capture daemon) the other two exe's look like management daemons

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Roger that, so I create a service pointing to the rpcapd.exe but I get this error:

Could not start the "my name" serivce on Local Computer
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Any ideas on that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not as of right now...but what exactly are you trying to do (while i research)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My companys in house software uses WinPcap. Same version as Ethereal. What I would like to do is be able to install it as a service so user accounts with limited permission can use our software. By default WinPcap needs administrator or Power user permissions to run.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AH...hmm i'll keep researching if i can

[email protected] the winpcap support email

http://www.winpcap.o...ber/000319.html interesting but don't know that it will be for sure to help

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok here we go. I have the answer. From personal experience I know this will be the first answer to this question on the whole internet.

When WinPcap gets installed from our software by default it adds this registry key:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NPF
Under NPF there is a REG_DWORD called Start, by default the value is Hex 3.

In order for WinPcap to function with limited permissions the npf.sys driver needs to start when windows boots. You do this by changing the hex value from 3 to 2.

Thats it.

Now I will make a new .exe for our software with that code in it and boom, its good to go.

Now for people who have installed a recent version of Ethereal, this is done completely automatically by selecting the checkbox to start NPF when windows boots, during the install. By checking that box, it makes that registry key automatically.

If anyone has questions, please ask I will be glad to help anyone else with this issue.

I put a week into tracking down 1 registry key. Please share this info.

Thanks for the ideas dsenette

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry that i'm never actually able to help with any of your problems...they are always fun

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I do try and post the most off the wall happens to no one else errors because there is never any answers on the web, anywhere. So I try to make sure I get all of them on here so I can try and help someone else.

You hit it right on the head, it is fun!

:whistling: