Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Advice

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I have an old Gateway 2000 with like the lowest hd ever!!! I found a new one on Ebay, it's a Maxtor 40 GB internal hd......It is just the hd, no wires or anything.....will it connect to the wires from my old hd???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's an IDE hard drive you should have no problems...at most you may need to update your bios but for a 40 gig i doubt it

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks for the advice!

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
ok plans changed......I have bought a Maxtor 80GB hd.....now it will connect to my computer, but will I HAVE TO or possibly update my BIOS

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
possibly...you can update it if you like...but i find it's best not to do such a thing untill you know it's neccessary....if you have to do it you will know because the drive wont show up as the right size

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks!