Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CALL OF DUTY 2

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello I just bought "Call Of Duty 2",

The game installed fine, and loads quick. The problem I am having is during gameplay. The game runs smooth and looks very detailed. So I know that it can run on my machine. But I guess it's installed at some high settings or something, because when I play the game skips every 2 minutes or whenever I'm running or in a big battle. When I say it skips I just mean that the picture kind gets stuck for like 1 second. It's ennoying and I bet it's because it is installed at some high settings or something. Can someone help me set this game to run as smooth as possible for my specs?

Thank You

P.s.
My specs can be seen below on my signature...

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Well one problem is that you are running a 1.4GHz processor and the game on high. On my old 1.4GHz computer I ran it maybe medium at most. Have you tried just setting the graphics down? Your graphics card is pretty under par as well.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well I have a 1.4ghz tualatin processor which is known to have the power of a 2.0ghz P4. I've run benchmarks against most other 2.0Ghz P4's and mine beat them. As far as the vid card, yah maybe... But like I said the game runs nice, it's just the odd skip here and there every say... 2-3 minutes. I'm new to pc gamming...

So how do I set the graphics down on the game as you suggested? Which settings should I go for the most?

& what does 600x800 and stuff like that mean? If I set that higher it makes the game slower and vice versa no?

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi SuperStar..

600X800 or 1024X768 is the resolution that used to show u the game..
that depend on what monitor you have and what video card u have..

you will notic a huge effect of pic when u change from : 800X600 to 1024X768

ur video card is pretty good,i have Ti4200,and call of duty runs amazing.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
so what do i have to do to get it to run nice though?

what settings do i have to tone down?

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
put it at 1024X768 and tell us what u notice.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
what settings do i need to turn down though other than that?

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
actually i cant remember now..but i will tell u later..

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
alrite

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Okay. First, keep your resolution at 800x600 for testing out whether or not graphics are the problem. Second, turn things like Shadows down and lighting. Those are the most hardware intensive. Number of Corpses (which if I remember is a setting) should be turned to low, looks worse and less realistic, but it will help.

Also, do these hiccups happen in other games or just CoD2? If it's in other games, download Speedfan and see how warm everything in your computer is.

Also also, do you have any programs running in the background?

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you for replying,

No these hiccups only happen in this game. I have no other programs running at the time I use game, and none on the sys tray either. Maybe I have to many background running processes that automatically load with windows. But the only way to shut those off is using the msconfig utility.

Keep in mind as I said before I have a Tualatin 1.4Ghz P3 processor that is faster than a 2.0Ghz P4 processor. These are rare and were discontinued but it does the job. The game looks fantastic, it's just those little hiccup skips that get in the way every two or three minutes.

By the way... I have my 80GB hard drive partitioned into to parts. One for the O/S and one for data. When "Call Of Duty" is installed on my o/s partition I am only left with 1.5GB on that partition. Could this be a problem why it does that hiccuping?

I have tried to install it to my bigger data partition but the install says that I should'nt because the folder already exsists or something like that. When I tried doing that I had call of duty already uninstalled from my pc. But I mean maybe what I should be asking is how do you install a game like COD2 to another partition or drive when it is not aimed at "C:/Program Files" or whatever?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm not very knowledgable on hard drives. I don't have seperate partitions for anything, it's all on one. Any idea how hot your computer is running? If CoD2 is the only thing installed besides the OS in that partition, that may be the problem.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
how hot? my system has three fans. or do you mean processor temp?

Edited by superstar, 12 August 2006 - 10:34 AM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Processor, graphics card, etc. Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) can help you see what the temperatures inside are.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Anyone have anymore tips on how I can run "Call Of Duty 2" on my system? It still pauses and skips here and there. They are not major skips but you know... I dunno how to set the game with lower settings on the graphics and all. Usually on older games theres a one touch button to put it on low, mid, high graphics.

PLEASE HELP I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME WITH EASE

:blink: :whistling: :help: :)