Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost ability to drag and drop files

• Please log in to reply

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Suddenly I find that I am unable to drag a file from the right pane in Windows Explorer to a folder in the left pane. I have tried right clicking and dragging and just dragging and I am unable to go from left side to right side. Cut and paste does work. Using Windows XP Pro, SP2

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
This is check as you suggested. Still can not drag and drop in Windows Explorer

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Not sure it excatly related, but security update MS06-015 has caused some problems in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. If that's not it, you can check this thread which offers other possible solutions.

Edit: This thread also has many possible solutions you could try.

Edited by Comnir, 12 August 2006 - 04:25 AM.

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Not sure it excatly related, but security update MS06-015 has caused some problems in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. If that's not it, you can check this thread which offers other possible solutions.

Edit: This thread also has many possible solutions you could try.

No luck yet I tried the registry hack suggested the CNET thread - no joy. It does not appear that MS06-015 applied as my problem only dates to after August 6, 2006. I tried to do a system restore to a point just before I noticed this problem (early August 6) but it came back that the system could not use that restore point.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
What about the other thread?

Edited by Comnir, 12 August 2006 - 06:55 AM.

jimhaynes

jimhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

What about the other thread?

I missed that but read the whole long thread. Discovered my Esc key was stuck. Unstuck it and Drag and Drop is now working - many thanks :whistling:

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
hehe, you know you gotta love computers

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Surely do :-D.