Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System won't boot

• Please log in to reply

floxu_mt

floxu_mt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I recently made a trip to Texas and when I got home with my PC it would not boot back up.

I got the the point where it showed XP was loading and then it quits and the computer shuts off (by itself) and restarts.

I can run the PC in safe mode but it won't run in normal mode? Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks for the help...

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
possibility of malware was your computer left on while you were away

was there any poweroutage during the time you were gone

do you have surge protecter for your computer

do you have your xp cd put that in and do a repair

floxu_mt

floxu_mt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I took my computer with me and I drove from NC.

I do have the XP cds but when I put them in it only gives me an option to restore or to boot to command prompt from the CD.

The computer was working fine last friday but when I hooked it back up for the first time in a week today, it would not boot in regular mode.

I can boot in safe mode and did a virus scan and also ran my windows defender and neither found anything.

I am just truly baffled....If the computer had crashed and was dead it would not even run in safe mode, would it?

Thanks

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried those options the boot option and the restore option

floxu_mt

floxu_mt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will I lose all my programs on my system if I do a restore off the CD?

I did do a system restore from last week's good point and it still would not boot back up.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried tapping the f1 key when you turn on your computer then by using the arrows on the keyboard look for your boot options see if they are not disabled exit by pressing f10 check it out

i dont believe you will lose anything if you use your restore from your xp cd