Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power-up Problems

• Please log in to reply

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been having this annoying problem with my desktop....
Most often when i go to power up my computer the fans and lights go on for ~1/2 second then the computer powers down, and i then have to unplug it and plug it back in and try again (it then usually works with 2-3 tries).

I am not too sure but it sounds like I may not have enough power.... I am running:

Intel 630 3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB ...
ASUS P5GPL-X
1 GB Corsair xms PC4000
74GD WD Raptor
XFX Geforce 6800XT
2 CD drives, 1 floppy
3 case fans (CASE: RAIDMAX Scorpio 868**)
case light
Scythe KATANA CPU fan
500W PSU* **

*my PSU is 20pin, but i have a convert to switch it to 24

** the computer maker quoted this on my system, i forgot to check what the PSU accually says on it, but lets assume its 500w:
"cp: RaidMax "Z" w/Backlit "Z" 420W PSU (Blue)
ps: 500w ATX PS w/ Dual Blue LED Fans"

what does everyone think?

thanks in advance
-kyle

Edited by r3k5e71, 11 August 2006 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
check ur heatsink. ur cpu might be overheating. Also check to be 100% sure that its a 500 watt psu. Also did u buy a convertr for a 20-24 pin? if so send me the link of what it looks like and what brand. I dont think u can do that. All i have ever seen is a 24 to 20 pin converter.

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
20-24 pin converter

I double checked, the PSU does say 500W.

what excatly do you mean by check you heatsink (take it off & reapply with a new coat of thermal grease on?)

my cpu is idleing at 40-42 C and maxing at around 55 C

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
just amke sre its seated properly.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
check ur cables make sure they are in properly, not just on the 24pin, check everything.

r3k5e71

r3k5e71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well i reattached, reconfigured heatsink and im idling in low 30's and its been starting better...
also there is a lot of wiring for various case lighting and fans that i never really really checked if were connected correctly, ill look into that... or maybe its just running better because i gifted it a new monitor :whistling: