Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Disruption WRT54GS/Booster.

• Please log in to reply

Dmiller

Dmiller

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello,

im having a problem with my network
i am running a linksys WRT54gs router
w/ intel proset/wireless

For some reason the ineternet shuts off for 1 second and reconnects really weird it happens about every 15 mins.. but sometimes it doesnt happen at all.. kinda weird..

i got a log from the even viewer.. this is the message

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{0FCAC4DB-9EDF-4C93-A63D-FE4A5C19FD41} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

it sounds like everything is running fine?

so im pretty lost.

my channel is set at 2

i have tried to set it at 11,1

still pretty weird and im not getting a FULL signal.

When the Internet goes out the only way i know it does is the AOL instant messanger goes off.. or else i would never notice cause it discconets and reconnects so quickly.. if i was browsing online it wouldnt lag..

Kinda weird situation.

Thx for all the help if i get any :whistling:

Advertisements

Dmiller

Dmiller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
any help at allll??????????????????????????????????????

coreman

coreman

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I had exactly the same problem with the same router. It would disconnect ~ every 3-5 minutes and then reconnect. After spending hours on phone with Linksys Support (in India, naturally), the problem was still unresolved...even though Tech Service had me jumping through all of the normal "turn this off--disable that---reboot this". I finally figured it out that it was related to all of the wireless signals in my area and the concrete walls in my apartment.

I never had the problem within 10' of the router...but outside of that I kept getting dropped signals.

One possible solution (but not best): Install PCMCIA WLAN card on your laptop, it is supposed to enhance the connection...but I would suggest buying from store like Circuit City where you can easily return it if it doesn't work...because my best solution involves spending more money...

My solution was very simple: I bought NetGear Rangemax 240 router and have never had a dropped signal since and full coverage throughout my apartment. It was also the simplest install I've ever done (I've done Linksys, SMC, D-Link and Netgear, I bought all these different routers trying to find one that would give me a good signal all the time)

I also bought a Rangemax 240 PCMCIA card for my other laptop that isn't Centrino equipped and it also has awesome range and speed.

Edited by coreman, 13 August 2006 - 12:51 AM.

Dmiller

Dmiller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i was gonna get the netgear but i wanted to be cheap so instead i bought a linksys...

Stupid me...

Now i regret it.
i just thought there was a solution to all of this.. but i am going to buy a pc lan card. thx for the advice.

Dmiller

Dmiller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the card seems to help a lil more than the intel.. im not getting as much disconnects but they are still happening....

can someone help... how about u admin guys...

??