Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen resolution

• Please log in to reply

danny251

danny251

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
My monitor supports up to 1280x1024 and I am currently using 1024x768.
When I set my resolution to 1152x864 the sides of the screen go of the monitor. The start menu is cut in half from the left. The only setting on my monitor that I could adjust this with would magnify one and even that can't make the screen smaller.

Does anyone know how to adjust it?

thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You might try updating your video card drivers. Sometimes this helps. Simply go to your video card manufacturer's website and download the driver made for your card model. They should provide you with instructions on how to properly do this.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I tried that and it hasn't worked :whistling: It still is off the screen.
Am I going to the right thing?
Right click desktop-display modes-trrue colour-then resolution size?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Typically there are horizontal and vertical size adjustments on the monitor, as well as positioning. The new monitors have a menu to select the settings. There might not be enough adjustment to deal with it though.

What is the model of the monitor?

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It's a Proview Electronics 769N 15 Inch CRT :whistling:

Edited by danny251, 12 August 2006 - 06:52 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I don't see that model on the proview web page. Is there any other model number? I did a search and see that model mentioned, but can not find it on the proview web site in order to get the user's manual.

Is it anything like this monitor?

http://www.proview-g..._UM.aspx?sn=378

If so, on the third page there is the information about setting the horizontal size. You would need to press the menu button, then use the arrow buttons on the monitor to select the proper icon and then press the menu button again to select that option. You might look to see if there is another monitor which is close to yours. It seems that proview does not like to keep information on the older monitors or there is more to the model number.

You might also need to ensure that the settings are compatible with the monitor. Something the refresh rate can exceed what the monitor can deal with at a given resolution.

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for your help m8 its really apprreciated!

My monitor finially let me change the width of the screen and now I am using a higher resolutuion! My monitor is weird that way sometimes you can change a setting and other times you cant!