Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MP3 Players

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
My iPod Nano broke so I'm getting a new one. I'm thinking of choosing over a Zen Touch 40GB or a iAudio X5L. (I sorta need help, but anyways...)

What mp3 player do you guys use? Whether it would be when you geniuses are fixing my spyware problems or just listening for fun. :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I use a sony NWA-3000, i love it to bits best player ive ever owned(long line of walkmans) the software at first was awful they ditched sonicstage to do a whole new app which was buggy as [bleep], BUT they redid sonicstage(some dont like it but ive used it since version 1 and its good althoughi think the UI was better in the originals way ahead of its time quite like WMP11) but Sonicstage 4 is great totally idiot proof easy to use and catalogues the music well.

It has its limitations on the DRM side its not that bad but you cant take songs back off it onto any computer which isnt a problem for me but it might for some.

Its battery life is incredible if you use the sony format or low bitrate mp3 the max battery life is 35hours, higher the bitrate lower the battery life but ive never had it drop below 25hours and it charges quickly as well. Its very solidly built its fairly heavy but not overly so you can feel it in your hand and its a great shape and material choice was perfect the screen just disappears into it, the screen is an OLED black and white(white text black background looks smart) so its not picture viewer but its classy looking.

At the time it was a toss up between that and a zen photo but the nwa was the same price had better battery life and sound quality and more capacity(20Gb) to me its got alot on the ipod easy to use and tactile i can change track turn it on and off in my pocket through my trousers or jacket.

It did exactly what i needed i figure why over stretch the budget for a zen vision or video ipod that is ok at a lot of things when i can get something that is really good at what i want it to do in the first place.

The biggest factor for me came down to abttery life in the end, its got the best battery life of any player ive seen in any size, and it is removable(it takes a bit of work but it can be done with not to much difficulty) which was important and the major reason i didnt get the ipod because a 4 year lifetime just didnt cut it i have what is now almost a 10 year old minidisk walkman thats done enough milage with me to go round the globe a couple times and its not 100% all the time but it still plays, ive got a DNE cd walkman(the smallest you can buy for CDs, it still works fine and gets 40 hours of battery life to a disk and ive got a spare battery and external backup with it so another walkman was going to get my preference because of that and i never throw anything like that away its nice to have a backup.

The two players you picked biggest thing is they are getting on in life, the new gens are coming out this quarter and next they look good especially then new flash based player(using the new 16 and 32Gb flash) and hopefully the battery life improves.

Remeber to look into how they sync do they need software and whats it like i only overlooked it with the walkman because i was familiar with the software and confident i could manage and they eventually fixed it so im even more happy, the ipods are a bit better now you dont have to use itunes other apps can use them and winamp handles them pretty well, creatives are good because most things can sync with them WMP, winamp and the creative media player they also support dropping files straight into them(the nwa supports it but wont play them it only stores them).

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
How much does your player cost?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://portables.abo.../b/a/120867.htm <--- you could always get one of these...once you've got this contraption...who cares how you have to put the songs on it..you've only got to do it once

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I got mines for a £150 here which was a great price cheaper than any other player of its size, but i looked in a couple of US sites and its not for sale i know you can get it there because ive spoken on boards to people from the US with them but i cant think where you would get one.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I was wondering what MP3 player to get as my ipod is about to die a death as the battery is running out. I no you can get replacements but ive seen people who have tried to change the battery but only denting it lol. What MP3 players do you have and are the any good?

Thanks,

Kurt

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I have an ipod mini gen 1. Ive done battery replacement on it once, and it works like a charm. They order a new (refurbished) ipod for you, and you go pick it up at your local apple store (or they mail it to you, if you do it online). Its a painless process, just make sure that you have all of your music on your computer, because they take your old ipod.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I already made a topic for this. :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Umm, actually, Matt L., I think you've started 3 different topics about MP3 players so far. It would be nice if we could keep it to one thread....I'm going to merge these.