Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ohh crap

• Please log in to reply

shakiko

shakiko

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok well i got my computer re-formated and all my files got erased ,so i got this program Recover My Files V3.98. it pretty much recovers all my files and groups them up in the folders they were in. it also recovered my old program files. Does that mean i dont have to re-install all of my programs? And when i recover my files i will need to put them onto and External Hard Drive. so can i put programs on a external hard drive in any way?

and is their a way, when i instal stuff i can install them on my External Hard Drive instead of the computer?

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
#1 I wouldnt recommend installing stuff on an external, it could cause issues if ever you accessed a program while it wasnt connected. Also if the program installed has any auto update features or what not, you could get screwed if the drive was not connected.

#2 You will have to reinstall programs. Why? Because you may have the folders and programs files still there, but if you have formatted that means the windows registry is clean. When you install a program it also adds things to the windows registry for faster access, defining of drives, and many many other things, so yes you would need to install the programs again.