Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

high ping

• Please log in to reply

tim c

tim c

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, I frequently play call of duty onlne. over the past few months my ping has gone up to around 125. Today I upgraded my connection to 1.5mb in hopes this would help but my ping tonight has actualy doubled. I have done a tracert on the server and the results are aroun 75ms but when I get into the game the ping jumps to over 200. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Tim :whistling:

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello tim c and welcome to geekstogo, :whistling:
by any chance do you have anything running in the background using up your internet such as a P2P program uploading informatoin or downloading information, one of the many examples.
Also what firewall does your comptuer have? Windows? Syngate? Zone labs? Making your game an exception for your firewall will cause it to go through without it verifying if its good or bad.
thanx
James

tim c

tim c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no file shareing programs or firewalls, I also disable norton while in the game. By the way I uninstalled cod and reinstalled it and it helped alot( my ping is around 100 ) which is were it was until the past couple of months. But shouldnt it go down since I went up to a t1 connection? I live about 3 blocks from the hub and the server is only two states away. I know some of the people live much farther away from the server and ping in the 50's.
Thanks for the help
Tim

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello again tim c, :whistling:
You need to have a firewall running one your computer at all times. If not you're computer is at a high risk of being infected. By any chance do you know about windows firewall? And is you Norton the security sweeps one...or what ever they call it now......or is it just the anti-virus?
thanx
James

tim c

tim c

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
its just the antivirus. I do have the windows personal firewall but its usualy disabled.I also run spybot, ad aware, ewido security,cw shredder, and trend housecall on a regular basis.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I strongly suggest that you reenable it then add COD as an exception. When this is done it passes through the firewall as if it wasn't even there. Yet your still getting the protection.
Also is your computer just reaching the requirements of the game?
thanx
James