Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very strange problem building a new pc

• Please log in to reply

Retribution

Retribution

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here and to tell you the truth i'm baffled on this one. I'm not new to pc's, and I have built/modded a few systems before. Anyways, heres my situation...

I recently decided to upgrade my aging AMD Athlon 2000+ system with something fairly top of the line that would last me a good few years, so I purchased an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (dual core processor, last one being made for socket 939). To keep my new beast cool, I bought a new Zalman CNPS 9500. To complete my setup I bought a new motherboard, the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. This thing cought my eye because it supports both AGP 8x and PCI-E video cards.
So, now that I was finished draining my wallet, I started putting it all together. Once I had everything wired up, I put the plug in and turned on the power supply via the switch. Everything turned on - for about half a second, and shut off. This surprised me because I hadn't even pushed the power button on the front of the case. When I did push the power button, everything did turn on... but I didn't hear a startup beep, and the monitor was black even though it was turned on. When I tried to hold down the power button to turn it off, It did nothing. I tried the reset button too, and that didn't do anything either. :blink:
I rechecked all of my connections, then I rechecked them some more. Finally I concluded that either my motherboard or my CPU was faulty. I knew it couldn't be the RAM, video card, or the power supply... none of those were new and were working great with my old system. The power supply is a 500 watt, which should be plenty for my system considering I have only one harddrive and one dvd-rw drive. So this morning I went down to my local compusa and bought a new, different socket 939 motherboard. I took my other one out, put my FX-60 in, wired everything back up, and turned it on. It did the exact same thing. "Aha! It must be the CPU that is faulty!" So thinking this, I took the new motherboard I had just bought a few hours before back, got a refund. While I was there I bought a new AMD Athlon 64 3200+ as a temporary replacement while I send my FX-60 back to newegg and wait for a new one. I took the 3200+ home and popped it in to the ASRock, wired everything back up, and turned on the power. To my dismay, it did the exact same thing. :help:
So, I had replaced the motherboard to see if that was the problem, and when it did the same thing I took the new motherboard back. Then I got a new CPU since I figured that was the problem when I had ruled out the motherboard, but that didn't work either! I'm really lost on this one, can anybody help me out? Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this? Again, what it does is when I flip the switch to the power supply it turns on for literally about half a second. If I push the power button on the front of my case, it turns on, but I hear NO beeps at all, there is absolutely nothing on the monitor, and the only way I can turn it off is by using the switch on the power supply itself. :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and reply. :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds to me like its a PSU problem(you say its old but is it a quality one a generic wont handle that system, also you probably would have been better with the replacement boards Asrock isnt a great brand and that board is pretty pants its dual gfx slot types are its only advantage and its botched as i think the PCI-e is limited to 8x.

Either the PSU or you are putting the motherboard in wrong and its touching the backpanel and shorting every time the power goes, its also possible you are wiring the power switch incorrectly.

Also via the quirks of AMD pricing AM2 systems cost the same or less as the older 939 systems an FX-60 is now priced at the same or more in alot of places ive looked as faster fx-62s and the AM2 5000+x2 which is more or less the same speed as the fx-60.

Edited by warriorscot, 12 August 2006 - 09:53 AM.

travicles

travicles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ID take a very very strong guess and say its your power supply(i think this happened to me)

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yea it seems pretty unamimous here, and for good reason. Get a new power supply, and ensure all connections between the motherboard and PSU are connected and secure. There's at least two connections, one for the cpu (4 pins) and another one with a lot of pins (probably 24)

I'm sure you already know this, but just make sure your power supply fits both of those, it's possible that your PSU is 20+4 pin, so plug both those cables (should both be connected to dort of the same cable) into the 24 pin slot (they should both only fit one way, but you can check your mobo/PSU manual to ensure the pins are lined up correctly.) Then plug the 4 pin connector that is on a different cable into the 4 pin slot.

I hope that helps.