Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing And Reinstalling Tcip/ip Protocol

• Please log in to reply

debbyski

debbyski

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
Fijrst of all, let me say that I am not a computer geek, just an average person with a limited amount of computer knowledge. Having said that, I recently had to replace the power button on my gateway computer. When I opened the case, I saw a screw lying in the bottom. I put it over to the side, installed the power button, put everything back together, and repowered the computer. Windows 98 second editon wouldn't load. I unplugged the ethernet cable (verizon dsl) from the back of the computer, tried to load windows again, and this time it loaded and I replugged the ethernet cable to the computer. However, I could not connect to the internet. I called verizon tech support, and they said to check and see if the network card was loose. I found the mounting bracket to the network card was cracked and the screw was missing. I pushed the mouting bracket together, replaced the screw and everything was tight. I then restarted the computer, and everthing was fine except my speed was horrible. Back to verizon tech support, and alot of troubleshooting which included a tech testing the line. At this point 48 hours had passed and my speed was greatly improved. The tech support said there were errors on my side and it seemed when windows didn't load my TCIP/IP file became corrupt. He suggested a "dirty windows install". My computer won't let me do this as my options are to reformat the hard drive or escape. He then said there is a way to totally remove the TCIP/IP protocol and then totally reinstall it without refomatting the entire hard drive. Does anyone know how to do this in plain english? I also have the telephone line from the modem on a rather long 15 ft. run to a 4 way splitter. The tech guy said that is a problem too and I'm going to correct that issue and make a short run with no splitter. Would that correct my problem enough to live with my current situation? My speeds are pretty good now, and I reformatted the hard drive once with tech support helping me but my warranty is expired now. Any computer genius help would be greatly appreciated. <_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI deddyski
Welcome to geekstogo
verizon techs are limit to knowing the dsl soft ware and the set up of your dsl are you using the verizon soft ware to connect to your dsl or do you use windows to do it? what is your windows disk is it a gateway restore or a windows 98 disk?
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome debbyski :D We're the computer geeks, so you don't have to be. <_<

First of all, get rid of that phone cord splitter! Use a longer cord if necessary. This may be all that's needed to correct your problem.

Second, I think Tazz is recommending you try your restore disk again, if you have one, as that would be the easiest option. If not, here's how to remove and replace your TCP/IP Service, and repair your Winsock stack.

1. Remove TCP/IP on a Windows based Computer
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
Under This component uses the following items, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Uninstall.
Follow the instructions on the screen to remove TCP/IP.
Restart the computer when prompted, but click No if you are prompted to allow Windows to enable a protocol.

2. Install TCP/IP on a Windows based Computer
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Protocol, and then click Add.
Under Network Protocol, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
When the protocol is installed, click Close.
Restart the computer.

3. I also recommend you repair your Winsock Stack, using this file. Just unzip (using WinZip or other compression program), and double-click to run.

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you so much for the very helpful information; I really appreciate it. I'll try to answer Tazz's questions if I understand them properly. I had a verizon online dsl disk to set up my dsl system, so I assume that I am using verizons software to connect to the internet. I just click on the msn or internet exporer icon and connect up. I have a gateway system restoration cd version 9.5 and a windows 98 second edition cd. When I tried running the windows 98 second editon cd, it gave me the option to either reformat the hard drive or escape. I didn't try running the gateway restoration cd. I also greatly appreciate the administrator's advice. I did get rid of the phone cord spitter today and made a very short run to a phone jack right beside the computer with nothing in the jack but the phone line to the modem. After all the troubleshooting with verizon, and changing the splitter situation, I ran a verizon speed test and my speed was 693.2 KBits and 86.7 KBytes. This was about what I was getting originally. So I'm thinking that if it ain't broke, I better not fix it. But if anyone thinks this speed isn't good, or if anyone can tell me how to use the gateway system restoration cd to fix the problem, then that would really make my day. Thanks so much again. It's really hard being the only person in the household that has to repair computer problems! <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi deddyski
where did you do the test on your speed? speed can change a little due to how good the phone lines are in your area where you live .
I'll like to test my verizon dsl with the same test you did so we can see using the test if your where you should be on your speed .
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try DSL Reports Speed Test <_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,
The tech's at verizon told me to test my speed at infospeed.verizon.net I'm pretty sure you can't use the speed test there unless you are a verizon customer.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi debbyski
I do have verizon DSL I tested mine on same site you did I got 727.3 kbits
90.9 kbytes on my system the little change in the speeds could be that they just put in new phone lines up here.
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,
Thanks for checking that speed. Well, I guess my speed is pretty good and I'll just leave things alone for awhile if you think that's ok. When I got all those problems of the first post, my speed was just about at dial-up, so that was a problem, but 24 hours after they did all the trouble-shooting and had me do some configurations, then it was alot faster.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi debbyski
I'm looking more into what the speed should be with verizon and why some are a little different then others I'll post back when I have more info. on this for you.
<_<

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
been tring to get more info. from verizon on what the connection rates but they well not say on what they should be tring to get intouch with higher ups on this. someone told me that you may get better rates if you buy a better modem then the one verizon gave us going to look into this more it see if it is true starting to read a lot on dsl and cable to get to know more on them so I'll be reposting when I find out more.
<_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I just got off the phone with verizon come to find out they can tell you what your dsl rates should be at in earlier post I told you my rates where at 727.3 kbits 90.9 kbytes they check my rates and told me that with the distance I'm from the main point that I can be at a 1.5m :D they said it would take at the longest 5 days for this to be done. to find out you can call dsl verizon billing department they will run this test and get your line running at the fastest it can <_<
:D

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,
I was on the phone with verizon originally and they did a speed change on me. However, I think they reduced my speed which makes no sense. Then the last tech is convinced that it was a problem with my TCP/IP stuff. But when I had the problem it was a horrible speed and now I'm up to a good speed. What exactly should I tell verizon when I call them?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
debbyski
what you want to do is call the billing department not tech surport. tell them you want them to do a test on your line to see what speed your dsl will run at. they have done some upgrades to get faster speeds for poeple that are not as close to the main dsl connect point. I think she said it was a loop test after you call them let us know what they had to say and if I think you did not get the right info. i'll call back and get the name of the lady I talked too. so you can call and talk to her.
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,

I called Verizon billing and they did a loop test and the results were 768 K and he said everything looked really good on the line. It looks like I ought to leave well enough alone and I have printed out the information on how to remove the TCP/IP and reinstall it and filed that away. I also saved the winsock fix to my desktop. There is a nice little program called Cam Unzip which was freeware when I downloaded it and it's really super easy to unzip files with that utility. At least I have all this information with me and it can be used for future purposes. Thanks again staff for a great job done; GEEKS TO GO ROCKS! <_< Also, www.speedguide.net has alot of different anaylzing tools; I did the TCP/IP anaylzer. I have to confess that I didn't have the knowledge of how to tweak it better, but it would be useful for those with more in depth computer knowledge.

Edited by debbyski, 09 December 2003 - 03:37 PM.