Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows could not start

• Please log in to reply

boytaboy

boytaboy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi guys hope you can help me with this...I just experienced a problem with my computer, it won't reboot I cannot find the cause of this it says

Windows could not start because the ff file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file bystaring windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.
Select 'r' at first screen to start repair.

I did what it instructed me but still nothing happened, its still the same...So I decided to reformat & reinstall windows xp...I thought I fixed the problem coz my pc was now working but the next day when I opened it again the same thing happened (windows could not start.....) Is there something wrong with my hard disk or do you think its my operating system? Hope you can find a solution to this problem that I have..Thanks in advance..

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

boytaboy

boytaboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi...I already reformatted my hard drive & reinstalled windows just to solve my problem. But theres something wrong again 'coz my computer won't boot 'til like 10 mins.. & that doesn't end there, 'coz when I open an application, for example play a game for like an hour then close it...half of the toolbar won't appear you wouldnt see the clock & the taskbar..sometimes not even the start button...I'll really appreciate the help guys..Thanks in advance..

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
go to start and click on run, in the run box type cmd and click ok.

type chkdsk c: /f

it will ask you if you want to perform the volume check on the next restart. pres Y and restart pc

after this is done once again do this same process again but this time change the command to

chkdsk c: /r

it will once again ask you for a restart, once again type Y and restart your pc.

hope it works

boytaboy

boytaboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i already checked the drives as instructed...but still nothing happened..still 10 mins before the computer boots...its really slow..anymore suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi boytaboy...

Do you have more than one Antivirus application running at the same time? Is your antivirus configured to run a boot-time scan?

If this is an older machine, you might try changing out the CMOS battery on the motherboard...a weak battery can cause the machine to drop it's BIOS configuration.

wannabe1

boytaboy

boytaboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
actually I have no antivirus software installed yet...I'm planning to purchase avast...