Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boots but nothing works

• Please log in to reply

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok so I let my wife turn it on and it did it to her so I checked and I can in fact get to the run box and regedit.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As this problem seems a bit sporatic, we may be barking up the wrong tree, but let's have a look anyway.

From Registry Editor, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. What is the value it lists under the "Data" column?

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile
Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Is this what you find?

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
the data in the first part is Explorer.exe

the second part is what you have listed exactly

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I figured...It's not a registry issue or the problem would be consistant.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
  • chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while...it may even appear to start over during the final two stages...60 to 90 minutes would not be unreasonable for this to complete in some cases.

Once the operation completes, reboot and see if you still have the problem with your applications.

Edited by wannabe1, 12 August 2006 - 06:14 PM.

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok I will give that a shot in a little while...wife is doing some school stuff atm...I'll run that while we watch final destination 3... :whistling:

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok I ran through all that and it did the check on startup, but I didn't notice it finding anything, and it happened again a few reboots after that...again when my wife turned it on...so what next

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't let your wife turn it on anymore.... :whistling:

Is your machine set up so you have separate user accounts...or is there just a single logon?

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it's a single account...hers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does your installation cd support the repair option. Have a look at the guide HERE and see if you can access the repair. If you don't see the same screens shown in the guide, cancel out so as not to format the drive.

If the repair is an option, go ahead and run it using the guide as reference. Note: you will have to reinstall all Windows Updates once this completes, but your data will be left intact and accessable.

IGAOMD

IGAOMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
sorry it took so long for me to repost, but it took awhile for my wife to go through and get all her files she needed backed up to my computer. The restore disks that came with her system are only good for a fresh install, ie it wants to format and gives me no option to do a repair. Could I get an actual xp disk and do the repair that way or would that cause more problems than it's worth?

Edited by IGAOMD, 03 September 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements