Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange Happenings

• Please log in to reply

trickyg

trickyg

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi at work on XP Pro;

Went to log off and had TWO strange users on my pc !!!!

HOW WHY WHAT !!!

What do i do

How Do I stop them ??

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
That means that some users on your network are using shared resources on your computer, such as shared folder, printer, etc. If you don't want others to use resources on your computer, don't share them. Follow the steps described here, in order to disable printer and files sharing.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Actually if he did not manually put those users on his pc, it is possible it is a virus...

What are the names of the users?

If its like Jack or Susan, then its probably what he said above...

but if its like dhd987d5h then you have a virus

trickyg

trickyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
one was a strsange name & the other was an administrator......

I did not for sure put them on !

Managed to delete account via user accounts & dumped them off via Windows task masker ...

Any ideas as to what the [bleep] I should do now ????

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Well the strange name one, was a virus attemtping to make an alternate access point. This feature is an exploit in windows, I have seen it before :whistling:...

The only account you should see when starting up windows normally, is your own user whatever its name is...

you shouldnt even see the administrator account unless you are in safe mode, so the one you are seeing is probably not supposed to be there.

I would download avg free virus scanner ( if you dont already have one ) from http://www.download.com

update the scanner, scan, let it do its stuff. Then go to windows update and update everything you can assosiating with critical updates.

to update windows, open the internet explorer, click TOOLS, then click WINDOWS UPDATE.

Remove those users to, but I think you will find, when you restart, those users will come back, and possibly take over your user. Clear your windows restore and you may need to turn it off.