Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Self- Extracting utility

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi, I downloaded a flash BIOS utility for one of my old computers on this one. I am running Windows XP and when I click on the self-extracting utilityu I get this message" C:\DOCUME~1\Darren\Desktop\1018cs1.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose "Close" to terminate application.

The message at the top is labeled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"

How can I run this program on my computer???

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
To update your bios you cannot do it inside of windows... You need to download the BIOS update, and put it on FLOPPY DISKETTE and boot to it before windows ever starts up...

In some BIOS you may have to enable boot from diskette.

Also some updates will boot from diskette, while other you have to go inside the bios and see if it has an update option inside to search for the file...

For now, put it on floppy diskette, boot to it. It cant run inside of windows :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

Click this to download XP Fix

This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

We recommend that you download this file and save it to your desktop or to another location where you can find it. Double click on the file to run it once it's downloaded. If problem reoccurs in the future, simply re-run this program.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks Keith!!!