Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi,
I have a home network with five computers, 4 pcs and one laptop.
I normally set them up in a network and never have problems.
I tried to set-up the network again but one of the computers will not connect to it.

The computer that will not connect to the network has a very slow internet connnection about ten minutes to open a a web page if it does open.
It will definitely not connect to the home network.

These are some of the solutions I have tried:
Using the XP help and suport command.
Pinging, winsock reset, ip release/ renew, running antivirus to check for virus
I am completely lost
please help--

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Have you tried to boot it as safe mode with network?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
1. Is the NIC using DHCP or is it a static IP?
2. If it is DHCP is it pulling a valid IP address (ipconfig /all from a command windows)?
3. If it is static can you ping your router and/or modem?
4. Can you ping a valid URL from the command line and get a reply back or do the pings time out or drop?
5. Do you have a firewall and is it configured properly to allow the connection?
6. Have you checked your system for any spyware/adware/malware/browser hijackers, etc? Mind you this is not a virus check, this is totally seperate from a virus check.

IF you still cannot get a connection have you tried removing the NIC from device manager and then reinstalling the NIC with the proper settings?

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi,
I finally got it working after giving some extra feeding and care to the problem PC.
What happenned now is that one of the pcs will turn off, it will go into a dark screen but still be on 5 minutes after turning on.