Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP REFUSES TO ALLOW THE INSTALL OF SOME PROGs

• Please log in to reply

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Case in point...ACDSee Pro. :blink:

I love ACDSee :help: ...but...upon trying out the latest trial version...which loaded peacably the first time...and subsequently got lost on a reformat [due to my frustration with XP], it absolutely refused to load past the point of file associations, jpg being the first and last instance.

As in like cases, in the past, I have had to remove all of XP-SP2 and its updates, install the program to be tested, and then re-install XP-SP2, etc.. Slip it in under the sheets, so to speak. Thankfully, I have the disk and the time to do it. As a beta-tester, I am used to following this routine, and have back-ups, up the yin yang for everything.

Now, ACDSee is not the only program that is affected by XP-SP2...there are many others, and the same resolute stubborness occurs each time...me against the hard-drive. A re-install is the only solution.

XP is, jealously, the most proprietory of all versions of Windows. It does not like other programs in its immediate vicinity...like on the hard-drive! All 3rd party software is suspect and there for met with resistance. Like all MS products [don'tchu just love them?] they make aggrevating bedfellows with 3rd party stuff. You, almost, have to beat it into submission, and threaten it with a reformat...mess with its head!

Partitioning the hard-drive then becomes an unattractive option...but...non-MS files have to be filed in the system32 folder, if you are not 100% operating in the particular drive where the prog was installed...ie. you have to run XP-SP1 in the active partition, ie. where you are working, and XP-SP2 in the native partition, or logical partition. Have I got that right? Anyway, I think that you get my drift. Two OS's, to use some non-MS software, in some cases.

Now, doesn't that sound stupid :whistling:

Advertisements

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
as a matter of fact it does
stupid billl

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
in your add and remove programs do you have windows installer 3.1 if you dont you can get it here

http://search.netsca...Installer.shtml

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
lol that does make sense.
you cant install without the installer.
maybe you should keep automatic updates on.
that way you get the nesccesary stuff to make life easier.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:whistling: There is nothing that I have not tried...that I am aware of.

As a professional bungler and a legend in my own mind when it comes to computers, :) I am proud of being stubborn and downright ugly when it comes to dealing with Windows. I started with DOS :help: and have been through every version. :woot: More seriously, I have years of experience with the critters. Nope, I firmly believe, that we are being herded into the MS pen where the only hay to eat and easily digest, is grown on MS fields. :blink:

MS does not always share. It is a poor kindergarten student. It is very proprietary. 3rd parties often do not get in on the MS code distributions, so therefore they cannot accommodate themselves to the ever newer Windows versions.

Ultimately, we, the users, suffer accordingly.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
What kind of software are you trying to install.
I dont think windows can stop a program from installing on to your computer that YOU decided to install.